Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

part "save as..." including drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormyb

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2010
NL
Hi,
I'm setting up a NX native environment with mastermodel support.
I thought when I do a "save as.." on a model part which has a drawing, Nx would also save the drawing part into a new part or at least ask for it.
At this moment it doesn't and I have to separately save both parts and replace the model part in the drawing with the right one.
Is this the way to do it? or is there some setting I have to toggle?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You must have both the model and drawing files (and any assembly files that reference the model) open in the same NX session. Then, when performing the "save-as" on the model, NX will prompt to save the other files as well. If you press "cancel" on the drawing file (or other assembly file that uses the model as a component), that file won't be saved with a new name, but it will reference the newly "saved-as" model file; in this case you will need to save the existing drawing (or assembly) to save the reference to the new model.

www.nxjournaling.com

This issue is the major setback I see in NX’s MMT. Master doesn’t know where and who the children are! It’s not easy when it comes to cloning and reusing an MMT old project. I assume it’s better in TC environment than in just native NX.

Michael Fernando (CSWE)
Tool and Die Designer
Siemens NX V10.0 + PDW
SWX 2013 SP3.0 X64
PDMWorks 2013
Logopress3
FastForm Advance
FormatWorks

How else can it behave or how would you expect it to behave when you don't have the full master model (essentially an assembly open)? He had only the component (child) open, so how can the component track which master it needs to be included?

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back