Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partfamily Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

NutAce

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2010
CH
Hello Guys,

Would it be possible to use multiple sheets in the Part Famliy Spreadsheet?

The Reason I ask this is because the part family I am working on is starting to get pretty big.
Components with different diameters, lengths and for each also different materials. (lots of combinations possible)
So I want to bring some kind of structure in the spreadsheet if possible. Multiple sheets would be great.

If not, any other suggestions to structurize the PF spreadsheet?

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Multiple sheets are available when creating a Part Family spreadsheet, but in only a limited way. For example, the actual part definitions must be listed on the first sheet only however the cells of these part definitions can reference cells on secondary sheets. At least in this way you can use the secondary sheets to organize data that could be used over and over again when defining the actual family members on the first sheet, which should provide you with a chance to more logically collect and present your options and variables.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I discovered a nice little hack today using multiple Excel sheets on a part. You can embed a PowerPoint (and I assume other object that Excel recognizes) into the SpreadSheet and save it. That way you can save very complex documentation within your part/assembly file without needing a PDM system like TeamCenter. Even if you delete the embedded PowerPoint, it is still available in the Part/Assembly file. You can even use this trick on a part that isn't a Part Family by creating an empty Part Family spreadsheet with any part. Once in Excel, create a new sheet and the use Insert/Object/Create from File. Once in the Spreadsheet, you can RMB on the PowerPoint image and select "Presentation Object/Show" and see the slide show. The only gotcha that I can see is that you have switch back to Sheet1 before you use the Add-In/Part Family/Save Family command.

There may be an easier way to do this, but it appears to work pretty nicely.

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back