Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Partial Data Reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weldtek

Materials
Feb 12, 2005
US
For a vessel constructed to ASME Sec VIII Div 1, where a nozzle reinforcing pad will be made from a dished head, and that head will be made from two pieces of plate, welded together by the head vendor, is a PDR form necessary? The repad will not be pressure retaining in itself, as it is vented, however, it seems it will still be subjected to stress( indirectly) induced by pressure? Am I thinking right here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

weldtek;
Yes, I believe you are thinking correctly per UG-120, Paragraph c).
Nozzle reinforcement in the form of a fabricated pad is a pressure vessel part that is subject to inspection requirements under ASME Section VIII, Div 1.

For nozzle reinforcement pad PDR is not required. Assuming that it is not directly contact with the pressure media.
This non-pressure part attached to the pressure part.

pvesseleng: Be careful--this is still a "load bearing" item even if it is not used for containment. As a minimum it would need full ID for material.

If you used a portion of the head that had the weld in it I would like to see a PDR. If not,a MTR and material marking and tracking would be required.

deanc,
reinforcing pad has requirements per UG-36, UG-37, UG-0, G-41, U-42 for design, welding and material sake, also the welding of reinforcement pad requires soapsuds test.
but it doesnt require PDR.
Am I wrong?
regards

Any pressure retaining PV part will need a PDR, reinforcing pad is a retaining pressure part.
If the pad is for structurals the PDR is not required
genb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back