Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partial Quantity in an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

miller7778

Structural
Aug 22, 2005
US
I have a problem with showing partial quantities in BOM and I have searched the forum and not found anything that answers my question.

Here's the problem. I have to show 9.5 feet of wire loom in an assembly. Normally I would make a 1' section of loom and pattern it 9 times so that the quantity would show 9 but adding that extra half foot is ruining my day. Anybody have experience with this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That would make the actual length in the assembly work out, but the BOM would still list a quantity of 9. In this case it's more important for the BOM to be right than the assembly.

It won't update automatically for you anymore, but you could just double click in the Cell in your BOM and manually type in the 9.5 value.

We do it by using the following formula in Excel.

=IF(H2="EA",B2,IF(H2="FT",TEXT(I2/12,".0 FT"),IF(H2="NA",TEXT(,"0"),IF(H2="QTY",TEXT(J2,"0"),IF(H2="%",TEXT(J2,".00"),B2)))))

In the model we create a configuration for each Length which is dimensioned in inches.
We have a property called UoM set to EA or FT.
Whenever we change something we have to double click on the BOM and click outside the BOM to get it to update. I am just waiting for the day SolidWorks improves their BOM.

Once it is set up it is easy for the drafter to set. But getting everything right was a lot of work in the beginning.

Bradley

See thread559-119580
It tells how to create an Excel BOM with an additional String column and then insert the correct length into your part properties. This eliminates the pattern part of your assembly.

Why not make it 9 1/2 feet, and link the length to a property? On your property field, just double-click the length to add it, and it will update whenever you rebuild the part.

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back