Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Partially grouted masonry shear wall - strength design with English units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopher13

Structural
Jun 21, 2016
US
Hey friends! I am looking for a design example or guide for a partially grouted masonry shear wall using strength design and English units. I have the second edition of Design of Reinforced Masonry Structures by Narendra Tally and MSJC 2008. Neither seem to address the subject. Without a design example, I am thinking about designing the same as a fully grouted wall but with a width of 2x masonry flange thickness........seems kind of logical, but I would like to learn how to do it "correctly."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For flexure, the partial-grouted-ness of the wall usually doesn't matter. See for yourself by finding the depth of the compression block. Determine k. The compression block is k*d where d is the depth to the reinforcement. This usually results in a shallow compression block (about an inch or so); therefore the % grouting of the wall doesn't matter since the compression block is entirely in the face shells and the grouted (or ungrouted) cells are not in compression.

I agree with JLNJ. Another resource to look at is the NCMA Tek Notes. In the event that you do have a compression block that exceeds the face shell thickness of the block be wary of the equations presented in the Tek Notes. The last time I looked into them, I found a dimensional bust. I never got a full resolution on that issue.

JLNJ and RobertHale:
I believe you two are referencing out of plane bending of the wall, I think the op is trying to find examples of partially grouted shear walls with in-plane bending and shear I'm not aware of any examples for that condition.

I'm making a thing: (It's no Kootware and it will probably break but it's alive!)

Thanks for the replies!!! I will check out TMS Masonry Designers Guide and NCMA TEK notes.

I should have clarified in my original post, I am looking for examples for in plane loads. JLNJ and RH are referring to out of plane loads, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back