Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

partially sprinklered vs fully sprinklered Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmedbadr87

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2018
DE
I would like to know the difference between partially sprinklered and fully sprinklered buildings.For example If there is a project has Electrical rooms which are covered by clean agents and the whole building is sprinklered , is the Building considered in this case to be partially r fully sprinklered?.my point when we have options for fire suppression in certain spaces but we choose system other than sprinklers, that makes the building partially sprinklered?..As you know, that would make difference in determining the water demand

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had AHJ call an electric room with clean agent, but no water based system part of a partially sprinklered building. So, we would put in a double interlock preaction system to back up the clean agent. Remember a fire suppression system is meant to protect the entire facility and the rationale is a clean agent system is a short duration, once discharge system, so if it doesn't put out the fire or prevent a fire from occurring, it will not prevent it from occurring afterwards.

PEDARRIN2 ..
Thanks for reply...'', but no water based system part of a partially sprinklered building''...i did not get what do u mean by this sentence....i believe in case you are talking about, the building is considered to be fully sprinklered as you still put in a water-based system even it is a backup...correct me if i'm wrong

but normally the projects i'm working in they would never put in 2 systems for one space as this would add more cost.so in this case shall i consider the building to be fully or partially sprinklered in this case?

Always ask the AHJ whoever that is for what they want/require for sprinkler protection/ fire protection As a former insurance AHJ we had requirements based on occupancy, building construction, number of stories and $ at risk including business interruption.

My statement meant there was no water based (wet or dry or pre action) sprinklers in the electric room. So the AHJ took the position the building was not fully suppressed. To get around this, we designed a clean agent and the water based protection for the room. It did cost more, but cost is not something that necessarily gets discussed if the AHJ will not sign off on the permit or occupancy.

The AHJ cared about protecting the entire building as opposed to not damaging electrical equipment.

But as LCREP stated, talk to the AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back