Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Parting Plane Sweep 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyoung21

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2011
US
I am attempting to make an automated parting line for a molded plastic tube with varying dimensions per job. The first thing I tried was Sweep, however despite getting a good cavity subtraction tool through Sweep, I always found that the parting plane line took the liberty of banking around like a drunk pilot.

How can I get the parting line to sweep and stay normal to Z so I know the mold can be separated without damaging the part? AutoCAD 14 had the ability, but I don't seem to see it in AutoDesk Inventor 2012.

For automating the system I tried things like Silhouette Curves, but they don't reliably come through to make the Sweep automated. I need something robust that won't be finicky about added or deleted edges or curves such as I have observed trying to use Silhouette Curves.

Any thoughts? I know exactly how to do this in 14 but can't seem to figure it out in Inventor 2012.

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

post your part.. Hard to tell exactly what you want or why you are having problems.
I've done a "parting line" on a molded part to show in the drawing before and just used a workplane and split tool. Then included that in the drawing. even just a sketch can work too

If you can do it in Autocad there is NO reason it can't be done in Inventor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back