Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilMetal

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2014
AU
Hi all

I'm simulating a pressure load on a 2x2 partition at the surface of a quarter-model tensile specimen (screen shot is in the link below).

So far I have been using a structured mesh technique but there are some distorted elements close to the centre of the model due to the way that I have partitioned it. I'm having trouble thinking of a better approach.

Can anyone provide some suggestions of a better partitioning method or mesh technique that I could use?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uu6seglhuuj25o/gauge.png?dl=0
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Axisymmetric is a good route because of the decreased computational expense. I'm not sure exactly where you plan on applying your loads, but I caution you in being careful. It looks like you have a pressure load applied in one little "section" of the test specimen, and this load is not a load that is constant over the entire circumference of the model. In this case, you would have a axisymmetric geometry and a non-axisymmetric load. I can't remember exactly, but I think you would need to use (?)ACAX__(?) elements to take this into account. This can be accomplished by changing the element type in the input file.
If any of this information is incorrect, I apologize, however, I would like to offer some words of caution.

Note: I would look in the Abaqus manual for the exact element type, I dont remember off the top of my head

Yes, the pressure load is only applied in that little section. Thank you for the information about the non-axisymmetric elements. I was unsure how to account for the load with axisymmetric elements, but it makes more sense now.

If you want to retain the solid model then it would be better to remove the wedge shaped partitions at the centre and use a swept mesh there with brick elements. Alternatively use wedge shaped elements there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back