Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partition of a sphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo81

Bioengineer
Dec 6, 2007
BE
Dear All,

do you know how to create a sfere with a nucleus inside (always spherical)?

My intention is to give to the nucleus different material properties respect to the the bigger sphere.

Thanks a lot.

Leo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi guys!!!!!
thanks for the answers.

Corus...the problem is that if I have to work on a sphere I don't know how to create two ortogonal planes. I don't have a starting plane on my solid. The boundary is spherical...

Rstupplebeen....I tried but the problem is that then I cannot select separately the two parts. I was able to merge them but at the end I have only one mesh. I cannot select the inner nucleus to assign differetn material properties....

if you are able could attach an example?

thank you for your time

Cheers,

Leo

You don't need an existing predefined plane to create a new one, use create data offset from principal plane (ie. offset from the principal planes XY/YZ etc.)

corus

I assign the materials before merging. You may be able to do it later I just haven't. Since you are using a sphere you probably have symmetry planes you can exploit depending on your loading. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

corus....the problem is that to create a partition i can use only planes....
i don't understand how to build a spherical partition inside my sphere....

rstupplebeen...after marging...and in my case i am able to do it only for the mesh...the section assignments disappear....because a new part is created and there are not section assigned...they are lost after merging...
...the only way that i see but it requires a lot of time...is to create after marging a display group taking into account only the inner sphere...but it is not so accurate...the marging procedure leaves gaps at the interfece of the cavity created inside the bigger sphere and the external elements of the inner sphere...
the inner sphere lays in a cavity, with the same dimension, built in the bigger sphere...

Can't see what the problem is with creating planes here as in CAE you simply create principal planes, or a datum plane offset from a principal plane. Create two of them then partition solid with planes, then sketch the smaller arc/circle on the partitioned plane, and revolve. Easy peasy.

corus

Guys I did!!! :D

The method: I created an emisphere and I used the base to build a sphere part centred on a custom plane.
But I didn't partitioned. I used the function "create solid: revolve".

So I didn't act on the partition but on the part itself.

Thanks for the collaboration.

:D

I have another question however!!!

You can see it in another thread.:p

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back