Parts list from a multi-body part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupen

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2014
SI
Hello to everyone!

I was wondering if there is a way to make a Partlist from a multi-body part.
Currently I am using NX9.

Thnak You!
Best regards, Luka

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Parts List function is designed to work with Components of an Assembly. It was never intended to work with multiple solid bodies inside a single part file as that's not considered an Assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank You all guys.

I know that parts list is soposed to be an assemly function but I really like multi-body parts modeling.
For me, the best way is modeling in a part with more bodys. I dont trust the assembly. You have more csys than an when you do something or move something - everything depends on some parametrics. I know that maybe this is an old fashion approach but I like to make a ''straight forward design'' with parametrics only where I need it.

Thank You ewh, i will try this method. I think this should work.
I will report.

Best regards, L

The type of projects I work on, most of the parts are unique. When starting a new design, I tend to model multiple bodies in a single file then eventually break them out into individual parts using the "create new component" command. This leads to "modeling in assembly space" so that assembly constraints are not necessary. I get the advantages of an assembly (easy parts list, exploded views, arrangements, etc) without the burden of maintaining assembly constraints (though they are handy on occasion).

Keeping all the solids in a single file can be quite confusing and lead to potential problems with the documentation (drawings, revisions, other PDM related stuff).

Whatever route you take, best of luck to you.

www.nxjournaling.com

I had a go at EWH's method in NX8 but couldn't get it working,I did the attributes ok, but the parts list columns bit i couldn't figure out, could someone attatch an example file please, I think it could be a useful method.

One step that I forgot to add to the previous thread...
Once you have the attributes set on the bodies, you need to edit the levels of the parts list to add the bodies to it (Select/Deselect Subassemblies), then update the list.

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

Thanks again to everyone.
I am sorry for my late response but I actually got it to work...so thanks

Cowski I have a question about the ''create new component'' command. I tried to do an assembly from a multi-body part with this command but i realised that whan you do that the part rebuilds with errors. Some extrude and Sketches depends obviously with this body. Do I have to remove any parametrics first or export to parasolid (loses parametrics) to be able to do that ?

Thank You,
Best regards, L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back