Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

parts list using component attributes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett2008

Industrial
Sep 11, 2008
US
How do I get my parts list to use my componets attributes? Currently it only shows me the quantity, name and pc_no. What do I need to do to change this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

You have to select column in part list and chose Style (MB3==>Style. In columns tab ==> Default Text write <W$=@ATTRIBUTE_NAME>, where ATTRIBUTE_NAME is custom attribute.

You'll find that in the annotation dialogs that the attributes can be found under the relationships tab when you open up the full version of the annotation editor. The results duplicate what Siwy earlier posted, but it may be simpler to follow and give you more confindence when you're starting out using annotations that are based on attributes. Since it is built in to the system it is probably also the reccomended method.

Now for parts lists there is a standard form out of the box and I guess you could find out how to change it but the better way is that you don't really need to. You can look for the sample pallete file *.pax in the installed directories and start modifying from there, (there are several good examples shipped with NX). You can either include a parts list in a drawing template or create a template based on adding customised parts lists to drawings as required. The palletes are like menus and are editable text pointing users at customsied NX files. You use NX to create parts lists or drawing templates that you like as NX part files and preferrably place them in a seperate directory then edit the .pax pallette file to reference the files in that directory. Setting up and working with pallettes is found under Preferences>Pallettes and once you have a directory with the files saved there you could even make a pallette on the fly based on its contents.

Since many people want different parts lists for assemblies and components and perhaps for tooling, weldments or even different customers or projects it is then possible to have as many saved template parts list as you require and they're still only a click away once you have set up the palette system.

Most people find that once they know that this functionality is available then they can follow the process or the documentation to achieve their desired results. If you get stuck post again by all means.

Cheers

Hudson

I tried to modify a template then bring it into a master model but it gave an error "the type of this template is not known." It did this with the other emplates that I did not modify also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back