Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parts Location 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybags

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2003
NL
Hi,

I have a design folder containing assy, parts and drawings which has been supplied by a third party. I now need to move these files from this temporay folder to the correct directories on our server. My fear is that in transfering the files, assy links will be lost. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After the move, when you open the Assy, it will ask you where the parts are, find them once and SW will remember.

Or, move the parts, then go into Tools/Options/File Locations and add the new folder location. Move it to the top of your list, and SW will look there and find the parts.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Graybags,

Are the files all in the same directory? If they are, you should not have a problem moving them, as long as they are all moved to the same location. However, if the files are in different directories, MadMango's advice is on point.

Use Pack and Go to copy the models and drawings to your server. This should maintain/rebuild all references. The original files will remain intact, but can be deleted after testing that the copied files are correct.

[cheers]

If you have your search directories set up properly, you can cut-and-paste files to new locations without any additional work.

I like CBL's recommendation on "Pack-and-Go".

Open up the assy. file

Do a save-as

In the save-as box select the references... button at the bottom

Select a part

At the top select browse

Browse to the location that you want that new file to be located.

Hope this helps

B. Long
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
Solidworks Office 2007 Sp. 2.2

Thanks guys,

I went down the route of tools/options/file locations, added some more folders to the list and it worked out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back