Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parts transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastertech

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2002
US
Hello All,

We have an application in which molded parts are stored in bins, and then they are taken to a machine that makes some kind of assembly with those parts. The idea is to eliminate the intermediate step of carrying the parts manually, and install some kind of transportation system to take the parts to the other final machine, far from the molding site (100 m). I was thinking about some kind of vacuum or air transportation system, but I'd like to know if you have info on those devices and where can I find them, or if you have seen similar applications that can help.
thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mastertech,

You have a whole bunch of problems to consider with this project.

1.The first, and most important is financial viability. Conveying anything 100m is expensive, both in installation and running costs. The cost of a man collecting a bin, and moving it 100m is not that much, unless you have one man dedicated to that job. What factor of that cost is economically acceptable?

2. How durable are the parts. Most conveying systems submit the parts to some rough and tumble. Can the parts stand that?

3. Is the manufacting side running at the same speed as the assembly side. If not, how do you buffer for the differences.

4. How are the parts orientated for assembly? Is this handled by the assembly machine or do they have to be presented the right way around?

There are many companies that specialize in pneumatic conveying, who can advise you of the likely costs of that option. One alternative is to use motorised bins which follow a copper cable buried in the floor, anothe is to use a small conveyor belt.

Good luck with the project.

Pete

If component orientation doesnt matter and the components are very small then try looking at Piovan/Jenco hopper loading equipment commonly used for material transportation

Hi PeterPom, do you have any idea on what are the best companies that offer pneumatic conveying? How does this bins follow buried cables on the floor? That sounds pretty cool and I'd like to have some background and places to watch for. We are in the process of making the cost-benefit study. Thx

Hi Mastertech,

I am sorry that I can't give you any recommendations of this stuff. I am in Vietnam right now, and my reference library is in Australia. The last time I used pneumatic conveying was in Australia, so my contacts there (if I could remember them) would probably not help you much. Take a look at which gives you a pretty good look at American suppliers of almost everything.

The carts I referred to follow an electrical cable buried in the floor. They have a sensor and a PLC to control them. Usually electrically driven. You will normally have to install some kind of sensor to avoid running people down, as that tends to upset the insurers, however, that is simple to do, and inexpensive. So far as I remember, there are several manufacturers of these systems in the States.

Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back