Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PARTS TURNING TO BLOCKS WHEN ROTATING ASSEMBLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

toycept

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2004
US
Sometimes...while in an assembly and rotating the assembly.... soon as I click the middle mouse button to rotate the assembly, all of the parts turn to blocks during the rotation. Soon as I finish rotating and release the middle mouse button, all the part go back to there shapes (not blocks) All parts are loaded resolved and not lightweight.

This doesn't happen in all assemblies. And when it does happen... it starts all of a sudden... in other words... when I first start building the assembly by adding parts, things seem fine. But at some point, this annoying block thing starts.

Is there some preference to turn this off... I've looked in system options and document properties... but can't seem to find the way to turn this off.

thank you.

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Toycept,

This is a performance enhancement - you probably only notice it on larger assembiles. If you go to TOOLS - OPTIONS - SYSTEM OPTIONS - PERFORMANCE you will see an option for CURVE GENERATION. Using the slider bar you can either increase or decrease the level of detail. Unless you really need to see the detail when rotating, there is nothing wrong with decreased level of detail.

Regards,

Bandh

It's an option something like "Remove details when rotating", and I believe it's either under the Large Assembly Mode options or Performance options. I'm not at work right now to check. You can certainly turn it off, but you will see a reduction in your rotation performance.

Thanks for the suggestions, which I'll do. Beggar, yes...have certified graphics card (nvidia fx 1400).

The thing is the assembly is not large (only about 8 parts) and they are not all that complicated (some surfacing though, which may bog down the sysem?)

Thanks

There is a slider under Tools\Options\System Options\Performance - Move that slider to faster, that controls the "Level of Detail" of your models when you rotate it... or you can just slide it to off.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back