Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passivate before or after lap

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon4

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2002
US
We are having a discussions as whether it is better to passivate before or after performing final Lap / Polish of a metal seat. Material 300 series CRES, min 8 finish.

we perform the lap in house but the part is machined and passivated prior to our reciept.

Is there any spec that stipulates this order?
Certainly using iron lap tools leads me to believe the Passivation would occur post lap.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We always passivate with HNO3 (20% @ RT) after lapping SS. The majority of our components are made from 316 SS though all other stainless steels are treated the same.
If it was my choice I would eliminate the initial passivation step.

I assume you are referring to a valve metal to metal seat. If this is the case and the seat is by nature will mechanically deform through its work I would prefer your current process because the passivated layer will anyway damage by the valve operation.

The passivation process after lapping will add a process that can harm the lapped seat if is not very carefully done and will add one more inspection stage after the passivation.

300 Series are by nature stainless steel and naturally create a thin passivated layer. Be sure that at the lapping process you do not embed metal particles that can corrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back