Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passwords... and MS bugs... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalvarez

Chemical
Mar 12, 2004
US
Protecting an Excel spreadsheet for writing and selection of some cells, I defined a password.
One month later... I forgot the password. Doing a search for lost paswords, it was found SPPBABF as the lost one.
Immediatly, I could remembered the first one, SPPFORM. Surprise, the two words works indistinctly. I tested both of them many times in other spreadsheets, and both work, no matter whisch is used first.
It doesn't sound as something correct, I think this is a new bug from Microsoft...
To be clear: This is not to protect the file or workbook for opening (It doesn't work for this). It only works protecting sheets or cells.
Any comment from the forum?
Regards
jalvarez

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be honest with you, this is not a new bug but a very old "feature" that has to do with the encryption scheme that is used to protect sheets. As you found out, it is very easy to unprotect a sheet or workbook, although you probably will not find the original password. Therefore, never rely on the workbook/sheet protection (from Tools/Protection) for sensitive data.
On their website ( Microsoft admits this and says:
Important: The following types of protection should not be confused with file security. They are not meant to make your workbook more secure and cannot protect it from users who have malicious intent.
Worksheet protection
Workbook structure and window protection
etc.

Cheers,
Joerd

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back