Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paste 3D view in 2D view

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthiasG

Industrial
Apr 21, 2015
BE
I have an issue with pasting a 3D view from a model into a 2D view.
My ex-collegue has done that and when you open the 2D model you can see in the layer tab that there are layers with the name "Drawing View".
These layers contains the 3D view that can be updated if out of date.

I want to copy-paste a 3D view into a a 2D and that doesn't work for me!!
How can you copy a 3D view and paste it into a 2D view?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean Model Views (PMI menu), when you are talking about 3D view? And by 2D view, do you mean drawings?
If so, you have to create your own PMI views in the model first.
When in drawing, you can select your own PMI views from Drawing View Wizard Options.

Hi SvenBom,

With a 3D view a mean a view from a 3D model that you can insert with the view wizard in draft environment.
We draw our furniture in 3D and I want to make a ground-plan for a trade fair with all the top views of our furniture.
I draw the ground-plan with the 2D model view.

So to conclude:

I want to paste several top views from 3D models in a 2D view so i can scale that 2d view onto my paper and annotate it, just like another view such as views from a part.

So, if it was a single model drive view you wanted to annotate then 'draw in view' might work.

For what you're doing you may be able to do something by creating your 2D layout on the 2D model sheet in the draft file but your views from the model won't be associative etc.

No, what I'd do is create an assembly, drop your floor layout in as a sketch, position your furniture models in that assembly, then when you place top view in your draft show the sketch.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I second what Kenat says. Creating an assembly would let you keep associativity between the models and the drawing views. Another option would be to simply use view wizard to place top views from each of the 3D models and just gather them on one page. Either way will save you time down the road since any model changes will automatically update in the views. There are not too many cases where I would create non-associative views in a drawing.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back