Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Path Length Dimension Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanDH

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2010
US
Hi All,

Running SW2014 x64 SP4.0

In the attch part, in sketch 82, I am trying to place equally spaced points along the path, starting at the origin, going left (-x), and spaced every 120".

Usually I would do something like this by fitting a spline to the entire path, then inserting reference geometry points, which gives you the option for equally spaced points. But this doesn't work because I can't fit a spline because the path self intersects.

So I turn back to achieving this within the acutal sketch. The first 6 points, including the origin, are along a straight line so they're easy to place. The 7th, 8th and 9th points (each circled), I placed by inserting split entity points and dimensioning using path length dim. These didn't behave well but finally worked. On the 10th point (double circled), I cannot insert the path length dimension without the sketch irreparably blowing up.

Questions:

> Why am I getting these errors when I put in that dimension? How can I avoid them so I can use my strategy?

> If I am going about this the wrong way, what would be a better strategy?

thanks,
Evan H.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=09780dae-fafe-4d31-bb58-1bb6ac4a519d&file=11_12_14_question.SLDPRT
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because the path crosses over itself its not going to work in SW or allow you to make it into a single path. I made it into 2 paths and done my best to make it even. This method might work for you or it might not, Its the best I could come up with since SW won't allow us to make this into a single path because it crosses over itself. I will try and add this to the top ten for 2015 later today, unless you want to.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Yes, it occurred to me this morning that by splitting this at a strategic location I can achieve what I need. However having that functionality (creating single intersecting path) would be very helpful if move on to more complex layouts. I'm not too familiar with the enhancement request system and won't really have a chance to set anything up today so if you wanted to act on it, would not be wasted effort.

cheers,
Evan H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back