Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Path of a beginner Chemical Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilkane3np

Chemical
Jan 25, 2009
US
I recently (~ 5 months) started a new job, my first job as a titled chemical production engineer. The problem I'm having is that it seems that the company wants me more as a glorified operator/supervisor than an engineer. I'm not doing any process improvements, no design calculations, no optimization projects... just keeping up with production more or less. I know it will be good experience seeing the unit operations you only read about in books while in school, but I have no desire to just be a glorified supervisor. Is this something I should expect as a new engineer, or is this just a sucky company who doesnt use their engineers for the right purpose (I've been told there have been ~56 engineers come and go over the last 7-8 years). I just don't want the skills gained from school to die from stagnation. Thanks for your guidance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that anyone who says that they know exactly what course of action for you to take is going to be speculating, at best. Obviously, you need to continue to monitor the situation, and talk to your boss. Ask him when you'll get to do more advanced work. Gauge his response.

There are indeed companies that use BS engineers for technician work. Then again, there are others that simply see that as part of the training process. Only time will tell.

One obvious action is to track down some of the engineers that left, and see if you can get their reasons for leaving. A 56 person turnover may be large if the group is only ~100 or so, but small if the group is ~1000 or so.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I would tend to ask your question in the chemical engineer fora. Many of us don't know much about chemical engineering or what is the norm in employment. Having said that, your description of your assigned duties fits with my notion of what a young "chemical production engineer" does, but I could be wrong.

Again, this is speculating, but sounds like the company wants you completely familiar with the production process, etc. before you start optimizing it. This position is most likely the best way to do that. Would you hand someone the keys to your Ferarri if they've only been driving for 5 months? Probably not. A lot of companies tend to place young, inexperienced engineers like you on this path so you gain some practical experience.

You should spend your time learning the process. Then develope your own ideas to improve and optimize. I work in the chemical industry and there is not a person who will come along and tell you ok move on to process improvement. It's up to you. Take some initiative.

I agree with IRStuff that time will tell as to the overall intent of the company. But I will say that almost all production companies start graduate Chem Es out in prodcution units, as either Process Engineers, Manufaturing Engineers, or Production Engineers. Generally, the intent is to make sure that you understand the process thoroughly, and will therefore be in a better position to help out. As ash9144 stated, take some intiative. Now that you've seen the process for a few months, start to think about what needs to be improved-you don't need to find solutions straight away, but start to look for things that can improve the process. And listen to the operators-they're the people that can make you look really, really, good, or really, really, bad.

First I am electrical not chemical so I cannot help with any of that aspect of your question. But I can speak to general engineering situations.

skearse is right on target...especially about wanting to have the operators to look upon you favorably. That is true for any situation where skilled non-engineering persons have to carry out your designs.

Regarding the showing of initiative I would also like to add the caveat that you will probably spot some things that you believe need to change and you won't understand why the company does not implement your suggested change.

In my early years, I foolishly assumed that the leaders just didn't care enough to listen to my ideas for improvement because I was "too new". And there were probably a few cases of that.

But the majority of reasons for my ideas not being accepted when I was fairly new turned out to be that I really did not have the complete picture but could not recognize this until I got a lot more experience.

In retrospect a lot of my ideas that I thought were good actually would not work in the big picture or would not work without inappropriate amounts of resources being dedicated for too little payback.

We all believe bean counters spend way too much time saying no due to them not seeing the payback on their desired schedule...but sometimes, doggone it, they are actually right.

so do as skearse says, make good suggestions and show initiative and at the same time always remember no matter how brilliant your suggestions, unless you have the entire picture in mind and have all necessary facts, your idea may be great in the immediate sense but not at all what the organization needs at the macro level.

So don't get discouraged if very few of your ideas see the light of day, and someday your experience will allow you to better prepare your suggestions for acceptance.

Thank you guys for the input. This was my first time posting on this site and it is encouraging to see the fast responses. I hope i didnt come off as whiny or insatiable. I definitely understand not being given much responsibility at such a young age as I clearly don't have the knowledge and experience to justify being handed projects that take up company resources.

As for the question on the 56 person turn around... the company only has ~250 employees and only about 10-15 engineers there on the norm. So loosing 56 engineers over the course of 7-8 years is horrendous. From talking to some of the operators that have been around for a while it seems like the lifespan of an engineer here is about 2 years at most.

As far as why the other engineers left, Ive heard lack of respect from upper management, i.e. being cursed out and humiliated by the crazed plant superintendent (~90%), lack of job responsibility, i.e. the problem Im feeling now (~95%), lack of pay (~100%).

AS a qualified engr, you are in the position to find improvements, even small improvements, in the process. Keep your eyes and ears open, and learn from the experience. [The military rotates their people every 3 years.] This experience will help round out your porfolio. And if you can find improvements, put that in your resume. That's why they employ seemingly overqualified people.

Being in the same industry I've held your position before. My advice would be get as much varied experience you can. The assignments no one wants are the best to take on. For one it will be appreciated at least slightly where you are and may be rewarded. Or will look good on the resume.

Although right now in chemicals its hold on and pray we are taking a beating.

So don't be discouraged if projects requiring even small amounts of capital aren't approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back