Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Patran laminate modeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

tienne

Feb 17, 2011
US
Hello everybody,

I'm working on Patran software with the msc laminate modeler. I fairly unexperienced with this software. Recently I have had some problems :

1) During the "analysis run" the output file .op2 or .xdb is never created by software, so I can get any results!
2) When I try to do a ply with splits I can define the geometry to cut up the ply! It is also possible to use the FEM mode but I would prefer using a geometry projected on the surface. Does anybody knows how it works?
3)Finally I got a problem when I tried to import IGES file: Everything is all right when import the file but I can import it in assembly mode (without all the surfaces! With Catia it is automatically done! )

Hopefully my English wasn't too bad and my explanations clear enough!

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) the xdb file is not created
I think it is because your boundary conditions are not correct. I think is may be because you did not block the 6 degrees of liberty.

let someone on the forum confirm/infirm that.

Ben
Nacelle Stress Engineer (repair on Civil Aircraft)

There could be many reasons the .xdb was not created and impossible to determine from what you have said.

One option is to add the line PARAM, BAILOUT,-1 to the .bdf to get an idea of what is happening. This should not be used a permanent solution, but as a troubleshooting aid.

From the looks of it though, you may not be a stress analyst? If not, it may be a good idea to have a stress analyst get involved. Just a suggestion.

Brian

Tienne,
Do you output an .f06 file as well? This is the manual way I usually look for problems. Open the f06 file (it may be huge, something like LTFviewer comes in handy) and search for the string "fatal". It should tell you why fatal errors (which cause the analysis to stop) occur and can point you towards problems in your model.

Brian's suggestion of allowing rigid body motion is a good one as most modelling issues arise from constraints, or the lack thereof. We've had some success in modelling rotor blades with rigid body motion using this "trick" but as he rightly says, use the bailout with caution.

Regards,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back