Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Patran optimization: customized solutions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamasnaelmehdi

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2011
DE
hi everybody;

it's the first question I post in this forum, and I hope to have answers.
I'm working on an optimization problem and I plan to use Patran/Nastran, for this task.
my optimization problem consists of the variation of the radius and the thickness of a lighting column, to have the optimum design for a loading case i.e the optimum thickness = weight and the optimum shape = conicity.
The problem is: I can't find the Customized Solution button, can somebody help me on this.
if you need any additional explanations do not hesitate to ask me ^^
thank you in advance.

please find attached, a PDF file that shows the button that I would like to find.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not know what that button is, and I do not have it on my Patran 2012 version, at least I did not see it.

I am using Patran 2012, and from the PDF you have attached, they appear to be using an MD enabled Patran, possibly Patran 2010 or 2011.

In Patran, if you go to "Tools>Design Of Study> Pre-Process" you have more options for you Optimization Study. There may be a substitute for your task in this location.

Here are tips on doing some more research.

You can use this link to easily search all of the latest Patran documentation. I usually come here if I don't know what some random button in Patran is

I also use SimCompanion, which is a one stop place from MSC Software that contains various support articles and documentation for all of their products. You might find this MSC Nastran Optimization document very informative.

Best of Luck

Hi Zeroexperience ;

Thank you for this helpful advises, I will try to read the User Guide and I think it going to be fine :)
For the thickness optimization it is ok, understood, but for the radius variation I don’t know how to associate the variable design to the geometry.
Let’s considerate a hole in a plate: how to associate the scalar who describe the hole radii to the design variable in the pre-processing menu.

If you already work on this kind of problem please help me; it’s for my final project to get graduated.
Thanks for the last answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back