Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pattern Along a Helix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgopalan

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2002
US
How do I create multiple instances of a feature (like a boss) along a spiral (helix)?

For example, if I want to take a long cylinder and drill holes on it O.D in a spiral pattern what can I do?

I know that I can brute force this by creating as many offset surfaces I need and creating the feature on each and every surface but that seems very tedious.

The CURVE DRIVEN PATTERN option is limited to planar curve, well a helix or spiral is not a planar curve....

Any ideas?

MG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well,

I don't know a one-click way to do it, but I have a way that's at least a little bit simpler than creating offset surfaces. It has to do with mutltiple planes through one axis - at intervaled angles, which can be done all in one command, then inserting a hole (use the hole wizard) on the round surface, making it's locating point coincident with a plane and dimensioning it from the end of the part or the previous hole, and repeating this for each hole. If you want an example of what I'm talking about, give me your email address & I'll send it to you.

Maybe there's someone else out there who's automated this, or knows a better way.

Charley Leonard
CSWP

Thanks guys,

I think that creating the multiple planes radially and axially in one shot and using the intersection to locate the holes works a lot quicker than my method of individually offsetting surfaces and dimensioning the hole location each time.

I appreciate the help..

MG

I have also been trying to find an easy way to achieve this. My perception of the problem was like Charley sees it too. I have checked out both solutions on the site of Scott and I also have a solution which may (or may not) be useful.
I tried to find an alternative solution for holes on a cilindrical surface, patterned along a helix:
First, I have defined a helix on the cilindrical surface. After that, I have made a construction-sketch on one of the end faces of the cilinder using the circular pattern sketch tool. I use this sketch to define planes on the face of the cilinder.
After this, I make sketches on each of the planes. for these sketches, I use a coincident relation between the centre of the sketch to the helix, and I use a horizontal relation from the center of the sketch to an end-point of the previously mentioned construction-sketch. These sketches are used to extrude holes into the cilinder.
The difference between this approach and the approach of Charley, I think, lies in the use of the helix for the positioning of the holes.

Scott, maybe you're interested in adding this solution to the examples on your site? If so, let me know, then I will mail it to you,
Aart

Yes! Please send it to me.

I think I posted it here once before, that I'm willing to post other peoples SW models or Examples in the Pursuit of helping all SW users. That site is not only trying to drum up some business for me, but it is also there to help all SW users...new and advanced users alike. So if any of you have some cool, neat or just good examples of how to accomplish something please send it to me. You will get the credit. I don't like accepting other peoples work. That person put the time in to the construction then he or she should deserves the credit for it.[thumbsup2]

I am also looking for some API programs to post at my site as well. That includes Excel DT generated items. If any of you would like to send me some of them I would gladly put them up for you. Maybe you have the solution to help someone else.[pc2]...I know some of you have some neat programs out there...I have seen all the code in alllll those post you post here....netshop, dsi [lol]

I was a newbie to SW once, I remember how hard it is to switch CAD programs. [wink]

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help first*

While on the topic of Helixes, I have been trying to cut along a helix path (for the last hour) and cannot figure it out. I am trying to make a (0.1 inch depth) radial groove following the helix path I have on a cylinder(a billet grip for Harleys). I have tried extruding, but it does not follow the path. I have used a semicircle and swept the path but that does not leave a groove either. Any help is appreciated.

Kris

Hi guys, I have the same problem.

I am trying to do the same thing described in the first post of this thread.

Thanks for the examples posted on (I gues 3dmca.com is no more..)

Also, great examples on your site Mike Wilson. I've noticed that you have been using revolve-cuts (i.e. spheres) in your helix driven pattern. This works great for this unique case, but are there any tricks to make something like an extruded cut work the way described by the original poster?

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back