Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pattern along curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaina

Marine/Ocean
Jul 11, 2011
IT
Sorry for my stupid question, but I found a (complicated) solution and I need some suggestions.
I'd like to create some holes along a 2D curve. In the sketcher I found only an Equidistant Points, but I want to set an 'easy' spacing between my holes (e.g. 50mm). I could obtain that with Point Definition and Repeat Object After OK, but resulting points are included in a geometrical set. If I want to apply the User Pattern command to a sketch (e.g. a circle) along the set of points, I need them in a sketch form! I thought to project all points and include them in a sketch plane, but maybe you can help me to find a less complicated procedure.
Thanks for your attention.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

define your points, activate sketcher, select the points from spec tree and click Project 3D Elements! Now these points are linked to a sketch...therefore you can use them in your user pattern. Works like a charm!
Ciao!
P.

Thanks for your reply, 5050t. This is what I mean: are there no alternatives? I can't believe I can't directly draw an equally spaced set of point along a 2D curve in the sketcher (with a fixed space of X mm). Other softwares like Rhino includes this useful command. It's strange I can make it only in 3D, outside the sketcher environment, if User Pattern command claims for a sketch profile [of points].

Sorry, clicked submit to quicly.

To get desired spacing, click Equidistant Points icon,
click curve, then click end-point of curve.
Change option to Points and Spacing and enter you parameters...

There you go.

Maybe I didn't explain myself, sorry for my bad English. I already know Equidistant Points (I referred to it in my previous posts), but that's not what I need. If I have a 2D polyline as a track for my points, that command results in a set of points with e.g. 24.3579 mm between them (just a curve is enough for strange intervals). I need a command in order to have a set a points equally distribuited along, for instance, 25 mm intervals. I only found the procedure described above by me and 2020t, but it's a very involved one.

Hi Vaina, when using equidistant points are you selecting an end point after opening the dialog? when you do, the inactive box for spacing becomes editable. Then you can define points at a set distance from each other.

Problem is, the points are unconstrained and after creating them, I cannot find a way to change the distance (ie, make it parameterized) - if you wanted to change your 25mm to 30mm, as far as I know, you would have to recreate the points. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But, if you're only looking to create points 25mm from one another (or any set distance), select Equidistant points, then the end point, then edit the spacing to whatever you want.

Kevin Irrer
Northville, MI USA

Hi, kirrer. Thanks for your tip, I didn't realize I can choose a Point and Length or Spacing and Length option by clicking a point on the track curve! Anyway I'm looking for a parameterized set of points and you seem to be right, I can't find a way. The command apparently doesn't accept a formula :-(

Hi, DBezaire.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I can understand your reply.
Well, I can't change the number of points (instance count?). But I don't care about that, I'd like to create a set of points along a 2D curve with a parameterized distance: is that * concerning that? kirrer explained how I can choose different options for equidistant points but, when the set is created, I can't edit anymore (for instance, a double click on the points doesn't show the equidistant points panel, in order to change the spacing).
Thanks for your attention and your help.

Vaina,
You need to create these points in Generative Shape Design. Inside your sketch, right click over the curve and output feature. This will allow you to use the curve in 3D. If we look at my pic I uploaded I created Point.59 - Point.73 in a ordered geometric set (this does not matter if its an OGS or a geometric set) using the Points and Planes Repetition command in Generative Shape Design. The * I talked about was a multiplication sign. If you double pick on the first point only the point menu will come up. If you change the distance on curve from 25mm to 30mm all the points will be equally spaced at 30mm

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Now I got it, Derek. Thank you very much for your explanation.
It's a pity I can't change even the instance counting, I hoped to obtain the initial point settings panel with a simple double click on the points, in order to set e new spating and a new counting. I guess a macro is not the hardest thing in the universe, but I'm just a beginner and I have to learn a lot of things before :)
Thanks again.

There are more advanced ways to create this using knowledgeware and product knowledge template but, it would be nice to have the initial window reappear for instance # change.

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back