Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pattern edits in ST3...Syncronous

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8errr

Automotive
Sep 17, 2008
US
I am experimenting with ST3 Syncronous capabilities a bit.
I have a test assy file, which consists of two round disks.
There is a pattern of 5 holes in the first part, and a matching pattern of 5 holes in the second part.
I am struggling with the fact that when I update the location of the first hole in the pattern in the first part, the holes in the second part do not move to adapt to the change.
I have tried a relate command, and added a persistant relationship between the first hole in the primary part, and the first hole in the second part.

Where am I going wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
You need to edit the second part, then create inter-part copies of the holes in the pattern in the first part. Then define persistent relationships between the inter-part copies and holes you want them to drive.

There is actually a new command called Create Inter-Part Relationships.
This will kind of automate that process for you. It can be run when you are editing the part you want to drive. It can be found in the clipboard group under the part copy drop down.

To use it you simply select the part that you want to use to drive your holes, it will then go off and locate any relationships it can find and create them when done.

Alternatively if you run it from the assembly, it can be found under the relate group on the home ribbon. Here you select the driven part first, then the driving part.

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

Thanks Solid Mastermind,

I guess I was set in my ways using includes from V19.
Sync must change all that, causing the need for inter-part copies.
I found an online tutorial that showed the workflow for this type of operation.
Thanks again for steering me down the right path.

-Av8errr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back