Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pattern on curved surface 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomso

Computer
Feb 10, 2009
SI
Hello. My first post as i was searching the net for help on pattern and stumbled on this what seems to be very helpful site.
I searched but still dont know how to make a pattern on curved surface. My best guess is wrapping but dont think that would do the job, plus i'm not sure how to do that:) Its a handle (i attached a file of it) and it has a pyramid pattern in the cutout section. There is a thread ?how do I put a dimple pattern on a non-flat curved surface? and i really liked the post CADGemini made, buts its a bit too advanced for me. Hope someone can help me cause i'm stuck.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean just bump texture in render? If that's the case, no i cant do that. It would not look good enough, because it doesnt support good realistic bump. I did search for texture and i assume you mean bump map, but i'm afraid it just would not do. It's easy, but does not look good.

Thanks. You guys are very helpful and nice. I'm sorry, cant open your file since i'm using SW 08, but i'm very interested on how you did it. Anyway you could show or explain in detail?
Again, thanks a lot for taking your time and helping me.

You are going to create a linear pattern of your bumps
1st Create a sketch on Plane 2
- create 2 lines in the two directions that you want the linear pattern to go. (I selected 2 straight edges of the pocket and used convert entity to create the lines.)
- close the sketch
- click linear pattern (on features tab)
- Direction 1: Select one of the lines and set the spacing to 2.3mm (make sure the bumps do not intersect) and enter the number of bumps you want in that direction (start with 4 or 5 to see if it works REBUILDS take forever)
- Direction 2: REPEAT above
- Features to Pattern: on the design tree click on Extrude10
- Instances to skip: the pattern will go beyond the pocket. Select the bumps that you want to remove.
- Click GREEN Check mark
- Now you need to chamfer the bumps

DONE

I am sure there are more efficient ways. I am a brute force kind of guy.

Mike
Corbett Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back