Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pattern tables and feature name creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmarco

Aerospace
Mar 14, 2013
US
Hi - I hope someone has an answer to this. I am trying to create a boat load of datum pionts to use as monitor points within a a FloEFD analysis. I want each of these to have a unique name which I can define. I understand how to create a pattern table and import my list of points, however I can't figure out to add unique names to these points.

PS I have about 700 points to upload so manually editing each one to change the name in the model tree is not an option.

If you can help then thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pnt_family.PNG

The old functionality (menu manager) should still be accessible by activating Legacy Mode
Applications > Legacy
Edit > Setup > Name
ppnt_family_OldMethod.PNG

This method has four options
Component: Rename components/parts in Assembly
Fature: Rename features like F2 in model tree
Detail: [Datums] GTol items
Other: Internal Feature names PNT# as internal names of points in an offset CSYS single features.

Either Feature or Other can be used.
----------------------------------------
The newer method uses File > Properties
pnt_family_NewMethod1.PNG

Hit Change under Names & Features area of dialog
This Will bring up a large list for all names which is not filterable by Feature,Detail,Other group categories
but can be sorted via the Name or Type columns to achieve the same end result.
pnt_family_NewMethod2.PNG

The other method would be to open the ProProgram text editor and replace the names but you still have to follow the UNIXized rules that only allow _ or - symbols and no spaces. Regular Feature names like "Sketch #" are achieved with auto hidden _ symbols displayed as spaces but these cannot be manually named without the "_" s displaying previous text is not a smiley like (*_*) but it sure looks like one. Although in Naming Drafting Views proe as of WF5 actually respects Capitalism or lack thereof instead of forcing all caps like in File Names.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back