Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Patterned Cut in an Assembly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
Hello all,

I have an assembly of a large piping layout and I need to cut holes in this layout for nozzles to be placed there. I have a single piece of pipe that has a single hole in it. The hole was made at the assembly stage. Then I Component pattern that pipe to the length & total number that I wanted. Then I wanted to linear pattern that hole in two directions, both the X, and Y. I can get the holes to show up in the Y direction but not in the X direction. If I remember right, a user could make a cut in the assembly. Then linear pattern it, and it would cut through all the parts, even parts that were patterned themselves in an assembly.

Am I wrong about this, am I missing something, or is this one of those "nasty little bugs" that has to do with SP4??
Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello All

I have just tried to simulate your problem and got some strange results.

First I created a single part, placed an assembly cut thro it. Then patterned the cut across the single part. That worked fine.

I then reduced the size of the part and patterned the part. The cut only passed thro the first instance. I then tried to place the part pattern above the assembly cut in the assembly tree. Still I only cut thro the first instance.

Finally I deleted the assembly cut and inserted a assembly wizard hole and then patterned the wizard hole. This worked fine. I then suppressed the wizard hole, inserted an assembly cut and patterned the cut. This also worked fine.

It would appear from what I have tried that you need to pattern the part, then insert the assembly cut and finally pattern the cut.

I think that their is a bug here somewhere, I believe that rearranging the assembly tree should have resulted in the same outcome, but it did not.

Hope this helps you solve your problem. I will email this post to my vendor for them to forward to SW.

Regards

Kevin Batty
kevin@ketd.co.uk

Scott and all

I remembered the source of the problem. If you add features after the assembly cut they are not included in the feature scope of the cut. To include them just right click on the assembly cut and select feature scope. Then select each of the patterned parts that the cut needs to cut thro.

Regards

Kevin
kevin@ketd.co.uk

That's it Kevin....Thanks it works.

Thanks a lot, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back