Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pausing large models during solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstanley320

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2020
CA
Is there a way to pause and restart an ordinary linear static analysis in the middle of a solution using version 2022.1 of Siemens Femap with Nastran? I have a very large model with more than ten million elements and nodes. I have done similar models before but much smaller. This time I wanted to capture the stresses in some very thin layers but it wasn't very amenable to use plate elements in these thin layers so I ended up with many nodes and elements. I have done similar models without the thin layers so I have some idea of how long it will take to solve the model. There are only two sub cases but I expect it could take a number of days to solve, maybe even a week or more. The computer has 128 Gb of ram.

It would be really nice to be able to pause the job and switch to doing something else for a while without messing up the solution. I am not sure that I want to just let it work in the background while I do something else because I am afraid that it will kill the job in the middle of the solution.

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello

Ten million nodes sounds large but have you tried running it over night? If not I would try. I have run models with one million nodes and ~10 subcases. The solution time was approximately 15 minutes but it varies on the exact setup.

I don't know if you can pause a solution but I never heard of that option with Nastran.

Good Luck

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back