Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pavement planing asphalt overlay with chip seal base

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcbhhb

Civil/Environmental
Dec 10, 2010
US
I am working on a pavement rehab project, that we will be pavement planing the asphalt to a certain depth (prefer 3" th) and placing an asphalt overlay (3"). We have received cores and have found that there is a chip seal base where some locations of the asphalt overlay is only 1-1/4" thick, other locations it is thicker. Does anyone know if planing machines have issues milling the chip seal, due to the amount of binder? And if it does not have a problem with milling it, does it however, damage the remaining chip seal base? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some raveling of the chip seal should be expected, but it will likely be isolated. I would not abandon a milling project because of a chip seal.

If you are significantly concerned, reduce the depth of milling to leave some existing asphalt surfacing.

Thank you. With the cores varying throughout, I'll probably just mill the full 3 inches and put some repair quantities in the plans. FYI-The road is about 2 miles long and with 18 cores,10 showed an overlay thickness of 1.25" to 2.75" (avg of 2 inches), the remaining cores were over 3 inches of overlay.

How thick is the total pavement section including the chip seal(s)? Maybe cold in place recycling or full depth reclamation would be better options. They will raise the profile, though, which a mill-and-fill won't.

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back