Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pay for drafting.modelling,detailing? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

naresh843

Mechanical
Mar 27, 2007
IN
hi all
i want to know average cost for a detailing,drafting,modelling job?how do they do pay hour basis? sheet basis?? no of sheet basis??does it defers from continent to others? i am working for a mnc we do detailing,drafting,modelling to US,europeon countries..its my intention to know how do the process go...i feel that my company is extracting more work and gaining a lot...pay less..

UG NX5,SOLID WORKS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Of course janitors get paid more. It's a less plesant job. If I was given the choice of doing CAD drawings or Mopping floors at the same hourly rate I'd go for the desk job. It takes more training, but not much more. Perhaps a two week course to get the basics and then a couple months on the job training to get proficient and you're there.

-Kirby

... a two week course to get the basics and then a couple months on the job training to get proficient and you're there
I agree, if you are only copying from existing drawings. Unfortunately, my experience reflects that of KENAT. Being able to efficiently utilize the software is not the same thing as being able to create a good drawing. Knowing the software does not make one a good drafter, nor does an engineering degree.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

From what I've read since posting here, you could live like a king in India for the equivelant of 10-15$/hour US.
I started out as a detailer back in 1993 for $9 right out of school. Worked my way to a design engineer making a salary of around 40k. Due to lay-offs, downsizing, and off-shoring, I've been stuck at that salary for a few years. Have not successfully negotiated a higher starting salary anyplace I've started a new job at. The mareket is tough around here. If I won't to do the job for the rate they want to pay, there are likely 10 others who will. I've gotten to where I'll take about anything to stay in the design field.

David

"...a two week course to get the basics and then a couple months on the job training to get proficient and you're there."

Depends, depends.
Some out there (even some college graduates) don't get the basics after 6 months.

The mistakes are so numerous, and so .. stupid, I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to throw some people out of the window.

Every now and then, I get a really bright kid, and then as soon as I am all filled with hope, the guy is just too good to stick around.

Naresh, a lot of companies are outsourcing to India right now (includin my company). I am from Asia and I have a pretty good idea how much the cost of living is in India. The fact that you come from 2nd most populated country is not helping you either. If you want higher, they will find someone else to do it cheaper. If everyone want higher price, then US/European country will go back hirig local people or hire college coop. The fact that outsourcing is so cheap is what makes it worth the investman. New engineer in some south east asian countries makes $500/month. That is a lot less than $5/hour and it is not even drafting.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

COEnginner,since i dont know the market of CAD services and its financial issues....so it was my intention to know..if its not confidential,can you let me know,,how usually do they charge ?? whether its based on per hour basis?,each sheet?,or size of the sheet,like A4,A3,A2......??

Thanks in advance

UG NX5,SOLID WORKS

I'm in the US, Although I'm more of an engineer than a CAd draftsman, I've ussually been paid by the hour, however my last job was salary.

You are in India. You are cheap. That is why you have so much business.
You people are being taken advantage of along with the Chinese, and other low-cost labor countries. From what I've read, your boss and the company owners are getting rich offo f you and your fellow employees becaue you don't know any better.
NAFTA has made this a winning proposition for big companies (Upper management and CEOs), and a losing proposition for American citizens who've lost their jobs due to outsourcing.
You people need to stand up and demand fair pay. True that some business may get brought back to the U.S., but a level playing field will mean a better situation for everyone.
I've turned off the email notification to this thread.

David

If only it were that simple...

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

They person is a salaried engineer working for a company in india that has a branch in California. They take percentage of the person's salary.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Oh, he's being reasonable. He's just chosen to pursue a poorly paid career in a field that is easily outsourced, whilst living in a relatively expensive country.

A logical person might not think that was a great strategy, but from his perspective it is perfectly reasonable that free trade, and his unwillingness to move, and lack of foresight, should not affect his future wealth. Ideally the state would determine his utility, 'sadly' most regimes that thought the same have disappeared.

According to The Economist India has a ppp of about 274%, so an Indian CAD contractor on $5 ph would have to earn US$13.50 per hour in the USA for the same standard of living. Since there are large numbers of Indian graduates pursing that $5 ph job it is unlikely that an entry level grad has much ability to 'demand' higher wages, and if he did then they would be out of kilter with the rest of his society.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I know that a couple of years ago my company (engineering office) got €60,-/hour from the company I worked for. I got "only" €9,- of it..

----------------------------------------
Paul van der Heijden
Composite Engineer
Vekoma Rides Manufacturing BV
Internet: ----------------------------------------

Oh, he's being reasonable. He's just chosen to pursue a poorly paid career in a field that is easily outsourced, whilst living in a relatively expensive country .

Gotta be worth a star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back