Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBX -- signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbucska

Electrical
Jun 1, 2000
US
Anyone knows if in the case of a PBX -- or any similar
phone system with less than 50 stations -- the lines
going to individual stations have digital or analog signals? Are these similar ( level etc ) to regular,
single user phone's signals ?

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends.
(Don’t you just love that answer)
Old style key switches would allow one, to several analog extensions per phone set. Older PBX’s would support analog and digital extensions, (depending on what cards are loaded into the PBX, and firmware revision, etc.).
Newer PBX’s can support many types of desktop, (or mobile) phone sets in digital or analog modes. One small PBX can support many stations, programming some digital, some analog, and some as a plain ol’ 2-wire phone line for a fax machine.
Are you looking for info on wiring a set to a particular unit, specs to buy a small unit, or just curious?

I consider an addition to PBX -- it would be unsuitable for
the Forum, could you pse E-mail me ?

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Like robertjo said , It depends on the PBX.
One of the most commonly used small PBXs are the ones sold by Panasonic. They are used all over the world.
They can be equipped with analog(plain old loop start dial tone with ringer voltage) or Panasonic's proprietary digital phone lines.
Just about every PBX manufacturer uses their own type of digital phone.
However, most analog lines are all the same from switch to switch.

A note about PBX's and analog lines - my experience with the NEC 2400 is that analog lines can be optioned at either 24 or 48 volt DC. Typical North American Central Office loops are 48 volt. Most equipment does not mind this difference in PBX supplied voltage but critical devices should be verified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back