Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC based control system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanskat

Electrical
Apr 24, 2001
US
I am in the process of automating a small scale limestone processing plant and am looking for a cost effective PC based control system.

There a few I/O's (temperature, pressure, current etc) that I want to be able to monitor, control and historize. However, I have been asked to keep within a tight budget.

I have taken a look at "PANELMATE" which is functional but a bit of an overkill for the application. A section of my design includes the installation of VFD's that will be controlled by any of the parameters listed above.

I am looking for a PLC based system that can communicate serially with a PC with associated analysis software; something that is scalable and functional...

any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen all the posts and I guess it really boils down to developing a solution for the application...

I was made to eat a couple of my words as it relates to cost and functionality but what the heck it is all about experience and exposure.

Haven't done any programming in while since my primary area of involvement is energy systems but this should be exciting...

Now, with a solution in one hand ("theoretical") and an open mind in the other I will head on over to the PLC forum to see what those guys have to say..

The PC makes a good HMI using something like Windows 2000 pro and Wonderware. If your process requires any reliability, use a PLC for control. This provides the ability to run - and stop, when the Bill Gates blue screen of death bites. Do not get too cheap if safety is a factor.

Vanskat,
Did you look at the Galil IOC7007? It has Ethernet communication, and you buy the amount and type of I/O needed. $700.00 will get the controller and several I/O modules and it is simple to program.
What price level are you needing?

If you are looking for a cheaper route to your automation and as this is a business venture, make sure you check out E-bay for the components you need. You can get practically any PLC and I/O or controller made for pennies on the dollar. Obviously, you give up some support and probably don't have a warranty of any kind... but at least you get a quality system to start with vs. a no-name cheapy. I have even seen some SCADA systems there as well as OIT's like Panelmate and SmartScreen. You may need a little patience on the rare items, but it can pay off big time.

Good Luck!

Suggestion: Visit
and type Automation under Product or Service, which will return various automation categories, e.g.
Automation Systems: Flexible
with 411 companies to contact for a solution that fits your needs. Notice, that you can type directly:
Automation Systems: Flexible under Product or Service to reach those 411 companies.
Some of those businesses mentioned in above postings are in there too with their contact information. Certainly, it would be difficult to mention them all in this Forum, however, as you can see the volunteers certainly provided an excellent start for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back