Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PC Connectivity with RJ-45 Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonsinusoidal

Electrical
Mar 28, 2009
US
I am trying to connect two laptop computers by means of using the RJ-45 jacks and cable. The operating systems are windows vista. Can anyone advice on what settings I need to modify on each of the computers so I can access their respective drives. Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to use a 'crossover cable', or two regular cables and a hub. Given that, the computers should be able to 'see' each other.

Then.. well, I don't know the exact steps in Vista, but basically you enable sharing of some part of each computer's drive, and then you can copy stuff back and forth.

It's a bad idea to share the 'root' (C:\). Better to set up a \pub directory on each, and share just that. ... so the idiot driving the other computer (or when you connect to a network, _any_ other computer) can't screw up the one you're driving.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

You probably need a full-up router to configure the network and assign IP addresses and the like.

The other choice is to configure the computers to do peer-to-peer networking.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Just set it up using fixed IP addressing and either a cheap hub or a crossover cable, then open a share on the drives you want to access. Using a router is like cracking a walnut with sledgehammer.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

You should use a crossover cable. Then, set the IP addressed. For example, one laptop is 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0.. The second laptop IP address is 192.168.1.2 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. Leave empty other fields on both laptops.
Check workgroup names of both system, it has to have the same name.(Vista's default workgroup is HOME)
Then, go in folder options. Click on view, uncheck Use simple file sharing(if it's checked).
You should be able to share & transfer files now.

Ye vista makes it pretty simple to set up a network usually does it all for you ie u connect the computers together via rj45 and it automaticly configures assigning the relevent services to run wether you have acess to internet or not. my experiance with vista has been fine no problems with networks so far

"Yes, I would recommend a router also. Doing a direct connect with a cross-over cable isn't going to be very fruitful."

Please explain...

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back