Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC interface as HMI to replace dedicated HMI advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyplang

Electrical
Jan 22, 2005
US
We have been using alot of Panelmates and Panelviews but want to start using PC's. We have been looking at Parker's CTC and A/B Rsview. I like the CTC look (graphics) but they are lacking some of the features like recipe management, data logging, advanced trending, and SPC without going to some third party software or doing alot of VB (which I am trying to avoid). I was hoping to use one software package for everything. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I start learning VB?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a general control systems engineer and not an active programmer. However, Wonderware is among the more common third-party HMI packages.

You may be paying about $10,000 for the going in package with options that you may need to fit your requirements. If you consider such packages, spend some time with the software peddler about what their packages do. Consult a contract programmer that works with packaged HMI including the package of interest. You already mentioned batch recipe management and historical trending. These are optional additional products.

Note: all these guys are going to talk about point count when selling their software. This is not your I/O point count but the attribute count. Each alarm, indication or status value is a point. Thus, your 200-point analog I/O system could require more than the first cap at about 3500 HMI points. If your hardware I/O is in the 200-point area and a lot is analog, consider pricing the 10,000 HMI package. Also, when you loose the key or need more points, you will be purchasing another 10,000 point $10,000 license not some cheap upgrade.

Perhaps the HMI programmers can sort out all of my mis-information.

John

That is why initially I liked the CTC product. They have unlimited tags with their development software. I have some more calls to make. Thanks.

I would recommend National Instruments LookOut VI as it is much easier to use 3-4 hrs to get up and doing real stuff and costs $500-$1500 depending on # of tags. It is fun to learn and fairly flexible. I have much less trouble with it than our Wonderware applications.

Hello;
What you are looking for are called SCADA packages. Some major players in this field:

iFIX Intellution (now GE Fanuc)
Intouch Wonderware
Citect
Rockwell RsView (both 32 and SE)
Another smaller player that I like is KEPware
It is interesting to note that you might be able to import your existing panelview programs into the Rockwell Rsview products. I have used NI LookOut and did not like it. It is very limited and not very flexable.
Any of these products will require you to do extensive programming. If you do not have experience in programming SCADA packages, you might want to farm the programming out.

I have to agree with DJS, I am partial to Wonderware. I use it on a daily basis via HMI and PC on all our VARCO products. Everything is controlled via Wonderware on the "Drill Floor" of our Drillship. Other vessel functions, from generators to thrusters, even fire/flame detectors are controlled by VMS (Virtual Memory System) which has mutiple PC interfaces. Go to the following... and have a look for yourself.

Depending on how many points you have to enter and graphics to create it can take a while, we monitor over 5000 data points and it took mutiple programmers the entire ship building phase (plus a shake down cruise) to get it functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back