Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC to use catiav5 r18

Status
Not open for further replies.

666vito

Industrial
Jul 23, 2007
IT
I buy a new pc with a processor duo 1,8 ghz... and ati radeon with 512 mb tc, the seller recommand to buy a graphic schede with 1 giga of memory. I think that 512 mb is sufficient to run catia v5 r18 I think 1 giga is too you can help me..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The cheapest way to have a solid system is beside the at least 2 gigs of memory is to have a certified graphics card. There are so many problems related to uncertified graphic card. Use only supported OS.

Really, 512 mb of memory and you can completely forget about it, you will not be able to work but with the simplests of pieces. An assembly will completely break your system.
Your safest bet? Log on to dassault's site and check that you are getting only certified parts, otherwise you won't get any help if something goes wrong

I may have misunderstood, but I believe he is asking about the graphics card having 512mb of memory. That should be sufficient, even overkill, as many good graphics cards have only 128 or 256mb of memory.

Make sure to heed the advice above, and get a certified card. Also have at least 2gb of system memory is a good suggestion.

--Jay

Most of our Catia pc's have graphics gards with 128Mb memory and seems to be enough. We haven't got any problems with graphics gards. We have big models too.
Catia V5R15.

Priority list

1- Graphics Card (biggest bottle neck in a CAD station)
Nvidia Qaudro or ATI GL series is recommended. Basically a proper OpenGL card.
2- RAM (Min 2GB)
3- Fast HD (7200 Rpm and up)
4- Consider Windows XP X64Bit. This version benefits fully from the Dual Core processor capabilities. No more 3GB RAM limit that we had with 32bit.

Slowest part of a computer system is HDDs. They have max. 300MB/s against GBs of bandwith of CPUs, graphic cards. CATIA will work for your computer but you may need change it soon. "Middle range" computer parts for "enterance level" CAD. Graphic card's gpu is more important than it's memory. General advice for your next pc: Keep your HDD as fast as possible, RAM as big as possible, graphic card as expensive as possible, CPU as high tech as possible. You can check workstations' confugrations for guide to a new pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back