Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PCB coil to replace hand wound coil for inductive charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilman

Electrical
Jul 14, 2018
DE
We want to replace a wire would coil (parameters and photo see attachment) by a PCB coil as transmitter coil for inductive charging.
We designed the coil according to the original dimensions (except thickness of conductive path).
Unfortunately, the receiver coil does not detect charging current.

Do you have any tipps, what to consider or to modify?

Many thanks in advance!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d85e6375-2a1a-4b36-9ac3-4eeaeec0d63a&file=Coil_replacement.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure. But if he needs a core as well, it wouldn't help much to remove the shorted turn from the transformer.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Hello IRstuff,

I tried to dremel the shield layer away. Unfortunately, as it`s a flex PCB, the layers are so close to each other that I was not able to do it without damaging the coil.
I will need another production run without shield.

Your photo of the original coil looks like it's made of Litz wire, hundreds of separately insulated conductors in parallel to mitigate skin effect at high frequencies, so Q may very well be a factor.

If it's flex, use an X-acto knife to cut it out and peel it away from the other layers... some judicious heat can help here (delamination of flex due to high heat is a common re-work mistake, so make it work for you).

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back