Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCB design - Orcad or Protel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynr

Electrical
Mar 12, 2003
GB
Anyone have comments on the relative merits of Orcad and Protel for schematic capture, digital simulation & PCB layout? Especially ease of use!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been using Protel and Orcad for several years and am generally happy with both. We currently use Protel DXP, which I like better than Protel 99SE. I'm able to easily create netlist using Orcad and import it into Protel. The DXP version also is able to save documents as AutoCAD rev 14 drawings. That makes creating fabrication and assembly drawings a snap.

Scoreb

There is a Altium: Protel forum in Eng-Tips where you can post questions.

forum999

I have used Orcad and Protel since the DOS days (when Protel was called Tango), I find I perfer Protel, especially with some of the newer releases where Protel schematic has improved.

Depending on how complicated your circuit is you may want to try ExpressPCB. ( They give you free software that has schematic capture and PCB layout, and then you electronically send in your files to them, and they send your boards. It is very cost effective if you are making low volume designs. There are limitations however. The boards are limited by physical size and are generally limited to just a top and bottom layer.

Or try Eagle from cadsoft

I've used....

OrCad
PADS
Allegro
Protel

Currently using Expedition (not alot of fun being a beta site)

I've used ExpressPCB, it's fairly limited, but good for simple prototypes - however, you can't export to another program later, as far as I could tell.

EAGLE also has a "free" version, that is far far more functional than ExpressPCB. See it at:

Eagle is mostly what I use today, though it is at times frustratingly arcane.

HRC: how do you like Eagle compared to OrCad and Protel and the others?

Regards,

Andy

I didnt use Protel very long. THe version of OrCad (don't laugh) was the DOS version, but I used it up till about a year ago when some of the fab houses had issues with the gerbers.

At that point I went to Eagle for my consulting and personal projects, and I feel its a very decent package for the price, fairly good support and has some features I like better than the 50K version of Expedition that I use at my day job.

At least you can download the light version and get the look and feel of it.

Wow - 50K for a software package - what kind of advantages does expedition give you? I'm assuming it's for really large systems development with lots of engineers working on the same thing?

A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back