Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCB Layout Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlarson

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2006
US
I am working for a small company that is finally at the step of needing to design a circuit board for one of our projects. Since we will only be doing a couple boards a year I don't need an advanced package. Also we are on a budget due to the low usage of the software. Does anyone have any recommendations for good packages? I have been looking at a package called Proteus from Labcenter Electronics but can't find many reviews on it...has anyone used this package? I've also looking at Cadsoft Eagle and it seems to have mixed reviews.

Thanks, Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How complex of a board? If it's not too complex, you could just go with ExpressPCB. The software is free and you send the designs to them to be manufactured. Up to 4 layers I believe. The downside is that the file format is not compatible with other layout programs if you want to use those in the future, if I recall correctly.

Monkeysolder, the boards won't be very complicated, probably double-sided with under 500 pins. One thing I didn't mention is I would like software with simulation capabilites if possible. Proteus VSM has micro sim which is partly why I was looking at it. I also would rather have my own software and not be limited to one company producing my board.

Don't mix those functions... You will be sorry. It's hard enough for those companies to get the schematic capture/layout right let alone tossing in a completely different animal.

"Yes sir, I want to keep my guinea pigs in with the rhinoceroses."

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Have a look at Pulsonix too. Thye used to have good prices in the past, especially if the designs were not too complex. They had their simulator too.

...Or EasyPC by Number One Systems. I still use their DOS-based package (£94 in 1990), but they have "everything" now, including simulation and schematic capture.

Hiya-

If you want CHEAP, you can't get much cheaper than PCB
which is FREE. It is available on sourceforge.net and
only runs on 'nix boxen. No windoze.

I have used it for about 3 or 4 years, and I have watched it
evolve. There is an assoicated schematic capture called
"geda" I believe, but I haven't used it.

PCB, like any other software, is a matter of getting used to.
If you are used to it, it works "well". If it is new, then
it can be "strange and different". YMMV.

For me, however, the interface seemed intuitive and I have
only had to refer to the manual a couple of times. *NOT*
like my Mentor efforts!

They also claim to have auto routing on PCB, but again,
I haven't used it. I prefer to route my own traces.

Produces standard Gerber files as well as postscript. Does
8 layers out of the box. Drill and assembly guide, and
ACTIVELY maintained.

Of course, linux, or FreeBSD is free, so all you need is
some sort of old PC, monitor, keyboard, mouse and a little
effort to get it all whomped up together.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rich S.

I have looked into Eagle and it does seem like a decent package (except no sim). Does anyone have any experience using this package? I have seen mixed reviews about it. I also looked at Pulsonix and it looks like a great package but they get a little expensive. I'm looking for something for around 1k or under. And I prefer to stay with windows-based, I've never used Linux. I'll have to look into EasyPC.

Never used it much, but take a look at Electronics Workbench ( ). It was reasonably priced in the past, don't know about now. They have a 45-day demo that's somewhat limited on the parts count side (50 components, 750 pins and 2 layers).

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

We've used Eagle and it seems to be a good solution, especially with the routing features and low cost. I don't think that you'll need anything too fancy with a small board that gets spun only few times a year. I've been with a few places that have subsisted on ExpressPCB for many years before needing to switch software.

If you are only making a few boards each year, which I would assume have the same design, a simulation package may be unecessary, as you could just debug it and revise the board. Simulation up front doesn't guarantee that the board will work... sometimes you just have to build it.

What type of board is it? Power, Signal Processing, relays?

The board will be for signal processing. My company does only R&D so a few boards will be designed a year only for prototypes. I downloaded Eagle and the basic features seem great and it's easy to figure out. If I went with Eagle is there any recommendations on simulation software for transient analysis and AC/DC sweeps?

I wouldn't bother with a simulator unless there is some reason why you can't breadboard your design. Simulation doesnt make the job easier it makes it much harder so you need a very good reason for using it.

If you are still convinced that you ABSOLUTLY MUST simulate, take a look at LTSpice. There is a yahoo group for it that can point you in the right direction and also provide a lot of support. The word I recieved is that it is the best of the free simulation packages.

Bewarned, though, as the above posts allude to, relying on a simulation will often times send you in the wrong direction. You are much better served by understanding the parts that you are using and following good design practices.

Second the mention of LTspice. It is a little
quirky but you can do a lot with it once you get the
learning curve out of the way.
The discrete parts database is very small but you can
add parts to it without a lot of trouble. The best
reason to learn it is that it is free and reliable.

I have to disagree with Cbarn about simulator making
your job much harder.
IF you know how to use it, and its limitations, and have
enough analog knowledge to begin with it can make some
designs much faster than monkeying with solder.

Hi 2dye4, I suppose it depends how bad your soldering tecnique is. There are 2 main areas where simulation is useful, chip design and education, just about everywhere else it's pretty much hopeless.

Cbarn

I have done it both ways for years. I have found I can
get a project working quicker by simulating some of the
tricky parts and then building a real one with less
worries. I still make stuff with discrete parts as it
can get me better performance than IC's in some cases.

I realize spice is of little use for just IC stitching.
All you need is data sheets.

I hold out the opinion that some may benefit in the long
run from learning to use spice so I tend to speak up in
its defence occasionally.

Also remember back when physical systems were simulated
by building a circuit to model it. (Analog Computer),
well spice knowledge would allow one to use it as a
general purpose simulator if one were adapt enough to
break a physical system down into equivalent electrical
components.
Many spice programs now have so many added macro parts
to do sophisicated mathematical functions that it is now