Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCB-mount connectors up to 40GHz? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cqed

Electrical
May 4, 2009
DE
Hi,

I would like to connect a planar waveguide PCB with a coaxial cable, causing minimum loss and degradation.
I know it's possible with SMP connectors which should in theory work up to 40 GHz, but in practice will start making problems at around 20 GHz (or so I've heard).
So is there a better type of connector out there? Is there such a thing like a 2.92mm-surface-mount? And where can I get it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the helpful comment. I have already checked out their site.
They have a nice modular system, but as far as I can see only straight connectors. That's fine, but a right angle connector would suit me even better. Does anyone know if they exist?

(By "right angle" I mean it connects the cable perpendicularly to the planar surface of the board.)

cqed

coplanar transitions to microstrip naturally on your circuit board when you widen the gaps between your center conductor line and top surface ground plane. While widening these gaps, also widen your center conductor line to arrive at 50 ohm microstrip.
Just do it gradually,

Here's a photo of it in the bottom left corner of this link, it looks like they shorted the top ground plane to the bottom ground plane in a few places, note the little bumps (usually 1/4 to 1/8th wave electrical spacing between shorts). This prevents current from getting between the parallel plates and causing those ugly zinger suckouts in VSWR and throughloss
I just googled "coplanar to microstrip transition" and clicked on Images on Google.

k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back