Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCC Paving with no reinforcement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWHA

Structural
Jan 31, 2007
US
I am a structural engineer and am not real familiar with pavement designs. My question is this. Is it common to place PPC Pavement without the use of any steel reinforcing? The firm that I worked for as an inspector during the summers when I was going to school commonly called out for 8” of PPC over a prepared subbase. There was not even any steel for temperature and shrinkage. They did this for building entrances and subdivision streets. The only designs that I do that are similar to this are slabs on grade, not really a pavement, but the firm that I work for now always puts at least the minimum in for temperature and shrinkage. What do others do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DWHA

"They did this for building entrances and subdivision streets"

This is a common method of dealing with smaller pavements. In my experience, this is a case where reinforcing can be a detriment.

The pavements tend to move around, somewhat, and if the slabs were reinforced, edges would be tipping up and down, creating tripping hazards. The control joints break and 'control' the cracking and tend to let the smaller slab units move around, relative to each other. If the subgrade is properly prepared and EVENLY compacted, very little harm is done and the actual performance is acceptable to very good.

Shrinkage in concrete slabs is regulated by joints and not bu reiforcement. So, once the joints are cut at proper distance there is no need for reinforcment, because no further cracks will appear. Have a look at what you have done.
Airport runway slabs 15" thick used to be cut at 20-25' and only wire mash#3 on 4"-5"was applied in the upper layer. Some time even without mash. I do not remember details but this was fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back