Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PCI Bus Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehr

Electrical
Oct 27, 2004
PK
Hi! I am thinking of re-inventing the wheel. Trying to build my own PCI interface module with a single channel flash type ADC to send data to PC at very high rate. Any suggestions to follow? Thanks in advance. Zahid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My suggestion is "think twice". What reason(s) could you have for redesigning something that already exists in chip form? Unless you're making a custom product that requires functionality not provided off the shelf or you plan to make a million of these things, reinventing the wheel doesn't really serve a purpose.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Thanks dear for the respose. Its a customized design. Want to have my own board to be plugged into PCI bus of PC. How to proceed?

FPGA or similar, VHDL or similar, OpenCore or similar.

I've never done this type of work before, but I sit next to someone that sits next to someone that has designed such a project.

Again, I see no need to re-invent the wheel. You have made no argument towards needing to re-invent, so use what's already available in silicon. Unless you're trying to pinch pennies because you're making a million of them, whatever time you spend trying to work it out will more than overshadow the cost of a COTS solution. Most VHDL language vendors have PCI libraries ready to synthesize, so why fight it?

Dan - Owner

Mac. dear the argument I have in my support is to have a customized solution for a single channel data input to PC at high rate. I really like USB 3.0 idea and also working on it. But how much is involved in my original requirement?

Needing a high-speed, single-channel input to a PC is not a supportive argument to a custom-rolled PCI bridge any more than driving fast is a requirement for putting together a Ferrari from individual parts. You buy the Ferrari pre-assembled because it will cost you less in time & tools... same with the PCI solution. The fact that USB is an option you're considering supports that... you don't need a custom PCI, you simply need fast data transfer.

Buy off the shelf components/ICs/IP and spend your extra time at the local bar...

Dan - Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back