PDA High Strain Dynamic Load Test / Pile Driving Analyzer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle67

Structural
Mar 29, 2013
SG
Hi everyone

Any PDA expert here? Is PDA reliable? Can someone please recommend any literature on PDA or any work examples to calculate pile soil resistance from PDA results?

I also came across this formula below. Quite a lot of questions popped into my head.

How was this formula derived? What do the 1st term force term and 2nd velocity x pile impedance represent? I understand that F(t1)can be obtained from the strain gauge attached near the top of the pile but how do I get this F(t1+2L/c) value? Why are two forces in the first term added, two velocities subtracted and divided by two?

Thanks for your sharing in advance

Screenshot_2022-07-26_160841_jyqz9p.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, Geotechguy1

Yes, we'd get someone to do but just wanted to know the reliability and to have a bit of understanding of the test results submitted.

On some bigger projects I was involved in (think $20 billion mining projects with 20-50,000 20m long piles) during the investigation phase a program of test piles, static pile load tests, and PDA testing would be performed. Then during construction only PDA testing. Personally I don't think this is really necassary particularly if you are doing a large number of PDA tests (i.e. 5% PDA testing an 0 static load tests is in my opinion better than 2% PDA testing and 1 static load test). I have never been able to find any evidence of case histories where a failure occured because the capacity predicted by PDA was much higher than actual capacity, although I suppose that doesn't mean it's never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back