Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PDH's

Status
Not open for further replies.

msquared48

Structural
Aug 7, 2007
US
Too bad we cannot use our educational time in the forum here for obtaining PDH hours for our professional licenses. There is certainly enough learned here to constitute one three hour class over a year. Since I have joined, I have been in here at least three times a day, both learning and contributing. Hard part would be documenting the hours. Any comments?

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would definitely be hard to document the hours, but additionally everyone is not contributing or getting the same out of being on this forum. At least at a seminar you are obligated to listen.
I do agree with you though, if this is used properly. I work for a great company, but this forum has definitely accelerated my learning process. I have been exposed to many problems, situations, and solutins that I would not have had the chance to encounter in my own job yet. I honestly feel like I have been exposed to much more than most people with a short 16 months of experience,
Additionally, it gives me a place to bounce ideas and opinions without constantly asking my mentors at work. I definitely ask alot of questions, but try not to ask the same one twice.

StructuralEIT.
Its never to bad to ask the same question twice, as you can forget/wanted clarification. Asking the third time in my opinion.........not good

I agree with the documentation issue for the hours, that would be impossible. BUT!!!!!!!! Just for JOINING professional organizations, PDH's are awarded. Going to their seminars is EXTRA PDH's. It would seem a logical extension to be eligible for something - like 1 hour per year - for joining. Just thinking out loud here.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

msquared48:

I definately agree with you.

I've learned a lot from this board. I have numerous threads printed out and put into my various binders on different subjects. Its always good to hear other's opinions on topics.

I learn a lot more on this board than a lot of seminars I go to where the speaker is droning on about some subject I really don't care too much about, and I am just stitting there to get my PDH's.

Most PDHs from organizations comes from committe membership or leadership posts. Lots of effort to successfully conduct a seminar or technical meeting.

In every state I was licensed in that required PDH's, the quantity was usually around 30 per two year period. Joining professional organizations like the ACI, ASCE, AISC, PCA, etc., allowed you to claim 1 PDH per year, per organization joined, plus the time allotted for any professional seminars attended. This was never a problem and was noted as such on the state forms for PDH claims.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

For Texas it's this:
Active participation in professional or technical societies, associations, agencies, or organizations, including:
(A) Serving as an elected or appointed official;
(B) Serving on a committee of the organization;
(C) Serving in other official positions.

You gotta do more than just join.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Reminds me of the Dilbert strip, where Dilbert ponders the fact that he doesn't get paid for thinking up a circuit while he's taking a shower, but does get paid for going to the bathroom at work.

The continuing ed requirements would be a lot better if there were actually more pertinent sources of training. You hate to waste time in a course just because you couldn't find anything better and have to do something.

Talking to a lawyer in Missouri, USA the other day, he said he could get up to 5 (?) hours PDH every year self study. Engineers, on the other hand, in Missouri, cannot get a single hour PDH for self study. The whole system seems like a jobs program for companies that put on (allegedly) educational seminars.

In Australia you can include up to 50% of your PDH's as self study. I find that I learn more in 8 hours of magazine reading than at the same amount of conferences anyway.

csd

Come to think of it, that is interestingly ironic; I too learn more in 8 hours of reading mags or tech. papers than I learn at 8 hours of conference pitches; yet the former is not credit for PDH, and the latter is full credit for PDH (in Missouri).

prost,

Particularly for the very experienced engineers who probably know how to design almost anything. For them reading about the latest products and innovations is probably far more educational than some conference on concrete design.

csd

gostructural.com has a pdh series where you can obtain pdh's by reading an article and submitting a quiz. This quiz is graded by a sponsor, such as the Portland Cement Association. There is no cost. They currently only have 6 articles available for structural, but plan to add more.

Does anyone know of other sources that offer pdh's for no cost?

ACI has limited pdh courses available free to members and AISC has some very inexpensive online seminars. Hilti and Simpson Strong-Tie also have free continuing ed seminars that you can go to.

What about all of the online pdh providers?! Most of these courses are just about useless from an educational standpoint but provide full credit for pdh credits. Being licensed in 48 states makes keeping up with pdh credits a pain, and it can be difficult coming up with useful continuing ed opportunities.

As for professional organizations, from what I recall in most states you can claim 1 pdh per year for "active participation" in each organization.

I just got a pdh for attending an NSPE meeting. They had a cool lecture on forensic engineering.

...I also just got my certs in the mail for the free PDH self-study (read article, take quiz, fax quiz answer sheet to PSH sponsor) from CE News and Structural Engineer magazine...

Living overseas - it is hard to get the PDHs required. I end up trying to attend seminars (I have one in Singapore at the end of November - 2 days) - but this is hard when you are in a country where English is not the main language (like when I was in China and Laos). I work for a client with a large base of younger engineers (some 40 of them) and have been giving seminars on various topics of civil engineering. I agree that self-study - especially when one is spending his own money on journals, memberships and the like should be permitted - subject to perhaps a written synopsis of his study, and specific points that helps him in his work. For the most part, though, I have come to the conclusion that PDHs were instituted for professors and universities - and consultants - who see it as a great cash cow. I am happy to see that there are some organizations that understand the need for practicing engineers to find other cheaper means of getting a PDH than spending $500 for a 7 hour seminar that, for the most part, is likely 10 years out of date on specifics. (I attended a lecture in 1985 by a well known geotechnical engineering "sage" - he said nothing more than I learned in University back in 1973).

MarcbSE says, "Most of these courses are just about useless from an educational standpoint but provide full credit for pdh credits. "

I do agree to an extent. The free PDH's from CE News and Structural Engineer (same as the gostructural link shemp mentions) cover topics that I find relevant and educational - e.g., clear explanations of ACI 318-05's torsional considerations for concrete and such.

There are free AIA CEUs available at that I've found to be great cross-overs into structural aspects of architecture (I completed the "course" in seismic expansion joints for floors and came away with a lot of good, new practical knowledge) - of course all from a vendor's point of view. Nevertheless, all AEC has to do is pay the State of New York a fee of $900 and these courses might get recognized as legit PDHs (I know this how? Easy: I contacted AEC, who are headquartered in northern New York after checking the state's PE website and found that AEC - unlike PCA and Con-Tech, the gostructural PDH providers - wasn't registered as an approved PDH provider. AEC's answer was something like I should lobby NY or somesuch).

The PDHOnline website (also approved by NY) has some pretty darn useful (though not free) courses. I seem to learn better if there's a tangible goal involved (like a PDH or two) and, for example, I needed to "get learned on" steel joists and steel joist girders. Through their course on steel joists, I ended up buying ($14) Vulcraft's book on design of steel joists and steel decks and read it entirely, going through all its examples - and then taking the PDHOnline exam. I did this just for my own satisfaction and it sure was useful, so I'm grateful that there are decent PDH providers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back