Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDM/Works: making an assembly refer to a new document?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokahn

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2002
US
I have a SW assembly already in the PDM/Works vault.
I want to add a new BOM document (MS Word) which will be the "master document". As such, the SW assembly should refer to it. I can't figure out how to make an assembly already in the vault refer to a new file without deleting it from the vault and checking it back in.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To my knowledge SolidWorks “Bill of Material” does not link to a MS Word document. It does link to an MS Excel document within SolidWorks.

Bradley

I didn't mean a SolidWorks BOM filetype...I'm using an MSWord document...or any arbitrary file type...that you want to make a "parent" in the reference tree to a preexisting branch or node.

So far as I can tell, PDM/Works only supports making a new document the "child" of a preexisting node

Hi,

If I understand you correctly you are attempting to create a hierarchical link between two items. I believe this is a limitation of PDMWorks as it is currently constituted.

I am even uncertain as to whether or not one is even able to make a SW Assy document a child of anything other than another SW Assy in PDMWorks. That is not to say it isn't possible rather I have never attempted to do so in the past.

Chris Gervais
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Lytron Corp.

> I am even uncertain as to whether or not one is even able
> to make a SW Assy document a child of anything other than
> another SW Assy in PDMWorks. That is not to say it isn't
> possible rather I have never attempted to do so in the
> past.

I think I can by checking in the non-SW document first and then the SW assembly, specifying the non-SW doc as a reference. Unfortunately, if the SW assembly is already in the vault this method requires deleting the assembly from the vault (including the rev history) and then checking it back in...not an acceptable work-around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back