PDM/Works Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandH

Automotive
Jul 17, 2000
US
Hi all,

This is slightly long-winded and not sure if anyone can help, but here goes.

Last Wednesday (7th February) two of our network storage drives failed - these were originally called "SNAZ". The PDM/Works Vault would have been originally installed on \\SNAZ\PDMWorks\

The two network storage drives were replaced, and the name was changed to "SNAZ1". The PDM/Works Vault was restored from tape to \\SNAZ1\PDMWorks\

The PDMWorks Server software was originally installed on the file server (C:\Program Files\PDMWorks Server) - this directory was not effected by the crash. The pdmwvault.exe file is in the C:\Program Files\PDMWorks Server\Vault.

Since the crash, we have been unable to access PDM/Works. When I log on remotely to the file server, double-clicking pdmwvault.exe. fails to start the program. Also, the PDMWorks Service fails to continue running, even when started manually.

The problem appears to be the fact that the name of network storage drives have changed from \\SNAZ to \\SNAZ1. I say this because:

When I try to uninstall the existing version of PDM/Works from the file server, the following message appears
Error 1606, Could not access network location \\SNAZ\PDMWorks

A similar problem occurs if I try to update the current version (SP4.1) to the latest version (SP5.1) I downloaded yesterday. Could not access network location \\SNAZ\PDMWorks

When I try to install SP5.1 it automatically recognises that SP4.1 is installed and tries to update it - is there any way to bypass this and force a fresh install, noting that I can't use Program Files - Add or Remove Programs?

I'm under pressure to get PDM/Works back up and running because it is preventing us from working on certain projects, your assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You must get your VAR involved straight away.

1. Make sure your PDM tools add-ins is turned on.
2. When you log onto your Vault you must point to the new Vault by typing in SNAZ1 at “Vault Computer:” then click connect.
3. If that fails then uninstall PDM from the server and reinstall. When ask to connect to vault give it the new name.

Disclaimer:
I accept no responsibility for the use of, or any subsequent damage or loss of data.

Bradley
SolidWorks Professional x64 2007 SP2.2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 3.93 GB of RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for your response, and I understand your disclaimer completely.

I have contacted our VAR but they're taking a long time to respond. I'll try your suggestion about \\snaz1, thanks.

As I described above, I can't uninstall the current PDM installation because it doesn't recognise the path.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,

BandH,
You have to uninstall PDM at the server. How are you trying to uninstall? While in the remove programs on the server, see if there is a “Change” instead of remove. “Change” may give you’re a remove button. It has been so long since I removed PDM from our Vault.

Bradley
SolidWorks Professional x64 2007 SP2.2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 3.93 GB of RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400

Here are two thins to try:

Use regedit to open up the registry.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2007\PDMWorks Workgroup\Server and then change SNAZ to SNAZ1 in the rootPath key. I think this will point your server to the correct file locations. Obviously these paths are for 2007, but you can probably find something similar for other versions. The usual warnings about editing your registry apply.

Or:
Rename SNAZ1 to SNAZ for a couple of minutes. Uninstall PDMWorks, rename SNAZ back to SNAZ1 and reinstall PDMWorks.

Eric

It sounds like your login server and file server are two different machines. If that's the case, try the following (same disclaimer as Bradley):

1) Restore the vault at the old network drive location
2) Uninstall PDMWorks server
3) Put the necessary vault files in the new drive location
4) Install PDMWorks server
5) Point all the clients to the new login machine

I'm going to add a step 6 here as well: Contact your IT department and respectfully request that they take steps to make sure the PDMWorks drive never EVER gets cratered like that again. There is an active Windows service accessing those files, and such a disruption could cause vault corruption.

Hi guys, our IT guy actually suggested what EEnd said, and it appears to have worked fine.

Thanks for all your help,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back