Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDM Works running on a Novell network

Status
Not open for further replies.

drayflatt

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2002
US
Is there anyone out there running PDM Works on a Novell network? If so were you able to direct the vault to a central network drive or directory. I have tried several different ways (network name, IP address, etc) to no avail. I have since been informed by our useless VAR after we purchased the Office Pro upgrade that Novell is "no longer officially supported" for PDM Works. Although from the threads I have gone over so far I am not even sure PDM Works implimentation will solve the issues we have at hand if someone out there is sucessfully using the above mentioned software and LAN platform I would really appreciate some insite on how to direct the vault location to a central place where multiple users can access and modify our extensive data base.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

drayflatt,

It has always been my understanding that PDMWorks was originally written for a WindowsNT network environment. In considering PDMWorks at my last company I distinctly recall being told that we'd need to have a dedicated Windows network for our SW users in order to implement PDMWorks. We had (in that company) a Novell Network the same as you've mentioned. Maybe it can be made to work but our IT was in the planning stages of accomodating our needs at the time we last discussed it. I'm sure they asked similar questions as you have and determined that it wasn't feasible and therefore easier to deploy PDMWorks on a seperate infrastructure for our group.

Sorry that's not very good news and I doubt that it is of any assistance but I felt compelled to share it with you.

Good luck,

Chris Gervais
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Lytron Corp.

Thanks for the info. You have confirmed what I suspected. Now I wonder why our VAR (not sure what value they add) didn't inform us when he was well aware that we had Novell prior to selling us the useless software.

We are running a Novell network with PDMWorks. Everything works fine. I certainly don't understand why you can't assign a vault directory, we have been able to do that with no problems. I will ring our VAR today and find out whether PDMWorks supports Novell.

Nathan
Thanks for your input. This is the first encouraging news I have received on the subject. If you are running the two just fine then the only conclusion I can come up with is that your Novell must have the right switches and settings to accomodate PDMW. Are you using a network drive or directory as the vault location?

After talking to our IT guy, it turns out that we are running a mixed Novell/Microsoft enviroment. Our PDMWorks installation presumably uses the Microsoft network client. Still, I haven't seen any info about PDMWorks not running on a Novell network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back