Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDM Works Workgroup Problems! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3RSH

Military
Sep 27, 2007
GB
PDM Works Workgroup?

Hi all, I'd like a show of hands as to how many of us are using PDM works Workgroup edittion and are having problems?

When 2007 came out i have seen all my work destroyed and changed in various ways! most only happen when checked in and can be resolved by checking out and viewing in SW.

2008 SP2.0 is the worst i've seen, every model in my vault is showing both config states in the preview. huge origins are all over my models and my drawings have new random corrupted views all over.

Is anyone else out ther having these problems or have you all paid for better PDM tools??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used PDMWorks for years and not seen the problems you're describing. What has your VAR said?
You say your work is destroyed, then say it's ok on checkout. Is it destroyed or not? Can you provide some screen shots of what you're seeing?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

K3RSH,
Yes we get the same corrupted views in PDM Viewer. The standalone seats get the same corrupted views. Never thought it was a big deal. It only happens when upgrading. The drawings are old and need to be updated to latest SolidWorks.
When someone points this out to me I take ownership and load the drawing into SolidWorks and then check it back into PDM Vault with the note “Updated drawing to SolidWorks 2008”. I have tried to update the drawings using the admin tool at night, but for some reason this is not working to well at sp 1.0. I have not tried since. Will try again to update at sp 3.0.
Good luck.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP2.1
PDMWorks Workgroup, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400
e-mail is Lotus Notes

It does not work with admin. i've updated our entire vault overnight and it made them worse by zooming them all out!!

to fix i would have to load every item out and back in! gutted. thats thousands for our Drawing office.

Its not a big deal if only the drawing office use PDM but at our place we let production use web portal and config managers use standalone. only DO can Print drawing properly and see models Properly by loading in SW :(

K3RSH,
Time to call VAR. SolidWorks needs to fix this.

Bradley
e-mail is Lotus Notes

Agreed. i've had The VAR in my office looking at it. 3 months so far and still no solution. getting tired of ringing and sending screenshots and saying yes when im asked if im on the latest service pack. just wondered what you guy's had to say.

cheers

Have you considered generating a .pdf of each drawing and storing that in the vault alongside the drawing? While it requires an extra step on your end, the file that your end users will be referencing will be more stable.

It requires proper vault practices and a lot of faith in SolidWorks to trust that a drawing comes out the same today as it did when you checked it in a year or two ago, particularly in the light of:
[ul][li]Associativity to models which may also depend on other models.[/li]
[li]Conversion of the files to newer versions of SolidWorks.[/li]
[li]The use of a second application like e-drawings to view the file (which is what PDMWorks Workgroup uses).[/li][/ul]

It is probably not practical for you to generate PDFs for your current library of thousands of drawings at this point, but you may save some stress latter on by making them as you go.

Eric

The Admin tool has a setting under Vault settings called: “Create PDF files in the Vault on normal check in of SolidWorks Drawings”.

Bradley
e-mail is Lotus Notes

JMirisola, i wish they would give me an SR they are acting like a road block feeding back to SW! ive been harping on at them for months and re-reporting these issues in the attempt to get SR's submitted and still they persist to give excuses!! :(

Thanks for the idea of the PDF guys, i could do this but it would take days to go back over last 3 years worth of work. yes i could start it for the future but Why the F**K should we have to find workarounds for a program that should work instead of being left behind for a new Enterprise eddition. I think SW have washed there hands of Workgroup now they have bought and re-branded a better product!!

they have bought and re-branded a better product!
I have not kept up with the latest. What product are you talking about?

Bradley
e-mail is Lotus Notes

Bradley.

Im using PDMWorks (Workgroup)

DS now sell a better product known as:-

PDMWorks Enterprise

Its a take over and re-brand of a product known as conisio

Ive had a demo and its 100% better. I was just saying that now SW are selling this it seems as though they arnt spending much time on (Workgroup) fixing bugs like what ive been seeing :(

regards

Kersh

K3RSH,
I'm sorry your VAR is being so unresponsive. Perhaps it's time to look for another VAR? You might also want to try to find out who the territory technical manager is in your region and contact them, or try to contact SolidWorks directly.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

Not that it changes your situation much, but from what you have described, I think that the problems that you are experiencing are not the result of PDMWorks Workgroup corrupting your files. It is the result of eDrawings 2008 displaying a drawing created in SolidWorks 2007 incorrectly. PDMWorks Workgroup uses eDrawings for display and printing. I would not be surprised if PDMWorks Enterprise does so as well.

You could verify that it is a problem with eDrawings by getting the files (drawing and models) for a drawing which is displaying incorrectly from the vault and then opening the drawing in eDrawings 2008.

Did you have any problems with the files after converting the vault to 2008 other than the zooming?

Eric

I Agree EEnd,

Its all about Edrawings but the only way it can be fixed is with an SP. not likely to get one if i cant get passed my VAR. ive added it as a ER on SW web loggin.

I guess for now its doomed till SW get enough complaints.

Only the zoom issue so far once updated to 08,

It is strange that if i view the models and drawing in Edrawings (stand alone) they are ok. It has something to do with the interface of Edrawings and PDM. the fuzzy bit inbetween!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back