Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMW2005 Add-In refuses to load 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDMAdmin

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2004
US
I am working with a test install of SW2005 and PDMW2005, and I have come across an interesting situation. After upgrading the license server to 2005, I tried running both products. SW2005 loads fine, and so does PDMW2005 stand-alone. However, when I try to activate the SW Add-In for PDMW2005, it refuses to load, saying the license server does not support such a feature. That cannot be true, since PDMW2005 stand-alone loads fine. I have checked the license server and verified that it wasn't an issue of license availability. I tried the same thing using SW2004 and PDMW2004, and the SW Add-In loads without any problem.

Has anyone else come across this? What are some possible reasons for this kind of problem to occur?

Thanks for the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PDMAdmin - what was the bug that was found?

In the 2004 license manager the PDMWorks Add-IN and PDMWorks standalone are considered seperate features. However, when you install and run the PDMWorks standalone client, a license is taken out for the PDMworks add-in. Therefore you don't need any licenses for the PDMWorks standalone.

I've been told that this is not expected behaviour, so it almost sounds like the license manager in 2005 is behaving "as it should" by preventing you from taking out a license of the PDMworks add-in if you are running the PDMWorks standalone.

The license feature "swofficepro" should be able to provide a license of PDMWorks, either stand-alone or add-in. Using the 2004 license manager, both run fine. In the 2005 license manager software, PDMW2005 stand-alone runs fine, but the add-in can't get a license. You can only run the add-in if the license file specifically calls out a "pdmworks" item. That was not intended functionality. After SP0.1 came out, I still had the same issue. Our VAR has told us it should be fixed in SP1.0. I suspect the fix would have to come in the form of an updated license manager EXE file.

Well, what do you know... I'm not sure why it didn't work before, but we can now run PDMW2005 normally. The license bug has been fixed as of SP0.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back