Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks -Check-In some files in RED 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baruch

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2004
IL
During Check-In process in PDMWorks-2003 SP3, I have some files marked in RED (the read only files are in gray, usual files in black, and those in red). I must add that those are library parts, that are places in read-only directory, and that particular directory defined in PDMWorks as toolbox directory. Not all library parts in red most of them in gray. I could not find anywhere in the help what does the red color mean.
Can someone explain?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to the help in PDMworks. Click on the search tab, Type "red " in there. No that isn't a typo, type the word red and then push the space bar and click list topics. you will get 3 option. The 2nd one should be "Check in Document" pick that and you should see a note (2nd one)

A reference listed in red text indicates that a document with a duplicate name but with different content exists in the Vault. To avoid overwriting the document with the same name, rename the reference you are checking in.

Look here first. It sounds like you have the same named files.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Now I see it, but the problem is that those files are not in the vault, and I am sure never been there. (from the beginning those files were library parts) So why does PDMWorks think that those files should be red? (is there another reason that is not mention in help?)

They have the same name as a file that is currently in the vault. Whether those files have been in there, or not is irrelevent. If the files have the same name then that's why they are red.

If you save a part and check it in to the vault as Shaft.sldprt - How long will it take you to make a second file with the same name, especially if there is more than one person on your network building and checking files in and out?

If you can't find any help in the Help try looking at the SW KBA at the SW website (Knowledge Base Articles = KBA).

Regards,

CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Scott,
I think I got the difference from what you are talking about and what I am saying.
I created a new model of one that is in the PDM, in my working directory. Then saved it as the same name as the one in the PDM. Closed the working file and tried to open that same number from the PDM. In the PDM dialog, just left of the number I get a red circle with a white down arrow.
If I try to check the new part in, up comes the message “A document named “xxxxx” already exists on the vault but appears to be a different document than this one. Do you want to check in this document anyway?

Baruch,
What I would suggest is that your have administrator look at your permissions for the project folders you see in red, gray and black. Look in a project in question (Red in PDM tree), under the project tab in PDM administrator dialog. What is the group (under Project permissions) you belong too? Is it read and READ?
As a side note, in the PDM tree I have no gray.

Bradley

Scott,
You’re right about the white down arrow. I am thinking that Baruch is talking about the part names in the PDM tree being red.

Bradley

I would like to summarize and clear some things,
1. I am talking about file names (that are in red) in reference files list that appear during check in of assembly.
2. Always the red file names are of library parts that never been in the vault (I am sure and even made windows search in vault directory)
3. Those library parts files placed in read only directory for all, on our server
4. Not all of those library parts are in red (about 30%)
5. I have full access to the project.
6. I familiar with the message: “A document named “xxxxx” already exists on the vault but appears to be a different document than this one. Do you want to check in this document anyway?" I don't get this message this time.

I now see what you (Baruch) are talking about. I get black and gray only. Even a part that I know I cannot write to is black. When I try, PDM gives me a warning message. I am sure "read only" was in Red in SolidWorks 2003.
I give up.

Bradley

I have just found this out. Because of the time change PDMworks did not update to the new time. Even if your running a Windows server that is suppose to update the time. PDMworks doesn't wee it till the server is stopped and restarted. So try stopping service and restarting it.

This has fixed 2 of our custoemrs PDMworks issues.

Good luck!

Regards,

CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Baruch

The condition that you are referring to is something that has been occurring in PDMWorks for a number of service packs now. As previously mentioned, the Red icons appear in the "Select references to check in" window and it relates to the check in files having the same name as files already in the vault but actually having different internal id’s (they are seen by PDMWorks as different documents). Obviously this could be an issue if it were true, but the important thing to note is that this is a PDMWorks issue and does not necessarily mean that your files are different (in most cases they are probably not).

To correct the problem simply restart the PDMWorks vault service (in the administrative tools), or alternatively if that fails reboot the server where the vault is located and try your check-in process again, the red icons should now appear in their correct color, and the problem should go away (for the time being at least). We have noticed that this problem seems to occur after there has been a particularly high volume of traffic through our vault server. Which I might add is a brand new dell server with no known issues. I think that it may be something to do with the vault service itself.

PS: Be sure to let the rest of your organization know that you are restarting the vault service or data may be lost.

John Cole
Sr Mechanical Engineer
Impco Technologies, Inc.

Finally I found a clue about those files in red (in ref. files list) during assembly check in.
I found a text file: ‘forward_doc_info.pdmw ‘ (in [your vault dir.] \PDMRC).
Here is short view of this file:
-------------------------------------
#D271 3
0035.9610+led.sldprt 976122037 Detailed
0035.9610.sldprt 976118437 Default
010-0300112-004.sldprt 970032495 Detailed
09-1011-63.sldprt 950533528 Default
09-1160-60.sldprt 950533528 Default
09-1161-60.sldprt 950529928 Default
105-1089-00.sldprt 1017653105 Default
1604kl-01w-b59-l00.sldprt 884544091 Detailed

Those are the files that during check in of assembly with those files appear in ref. list in red.

What I did then (on a backup server), simply stop the service, ‘delete’ this file, start the service and discovered that everything now is ok.
Do you have this file? Or maybe someone knows what it is used for?

Did you ever figure out what the forward_doc_info.pdmw file was? I have the exact same thing happening, with the same file containing the affected part numbers, and some.

Clem See

Solidworks/PDMWorks SP 2006 0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back