Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks Ent Block and Attribute names for PDF? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZGuy

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'm trying to finish up my first creation of a Data Card for the file type .pdf.

Does anyone know the Block names and Attribute names to get a Data Card to map the Properties from a .pdf file?

I have loaded the default data card "all(pdf)_gb.crd," which brings with it the required Variables. Unfortunately, when I check these Variables, even for the default pdf data card, none list the file extension pdf in the mappings between the Variable and the file Attribute.

I have created a PDF Test data card and littered it with Edit boxes with different Variables in each. I have added pdf to the file extensions list, mostly using the Block name Summary and the Attribute names listed for MS Office file types. This has not struck pay dirt for any of the standard properties that are in the PDF files that I've tried.

I have looked in both Appendix B of the Admin Training book and in the full Administration Guide.pdf. Though the office formats and some other CAD formats are well covered in these books, there seems to be a GROSS omission as the ever so popular file type PDF is not mentioned. I have asked this of the VAR's AEs, but have not received a reply yet and I need to get this done.

I want to be able to have designers and engineers check in spec sheets from vendors and similar and capture as much Property information as is in these files.

My other File Data Cards work fine capturing Properties from Office documents and Custom properties from the SW model files.

Can anyone please help me out here?!

Cheers,
Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tom,
I did not even know this was possible.
capture as much Property information as is in these files

We are doing the same thing. It would be so cool to have the properties filled in, using a VB 6.0 form. I will have to look into this.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2009 x64, SP2.0
PDMWorks Workgroup, SolidWorks BOM,
HP xw8600,
64-bit Windows Vista Business
Service Pack 1
Intel Xeon CPU, 3.00 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Virtual memory 166682 MB,
nVidia Quadro FX 4600 Driver 7.15.11.6956

Tom,
Check out TheTick's answer in thread764-237113

Bradley
HP xw8600,
Service Pack 1

Thanks Bradley - I gave you a star for that one....probably should have given TheTick one too!

I will give what TheTick said a try and see how it goes.

I did get a reply from one of the application engineers...

>This is a current limitation of PDMWorks® Enterprise and has been reported
>to Development under SPR#384114 "Should have a PDF plug-in that can read and
>write custom properties in PDF files".

>Customer impact is set to "Critical".

So, they appear to be aware of this issue, but only heaven knows when we'll see a canned solution.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,
I worked with it a little bit. Got the properties to change on a Word Doc. Not luck yet with the pdf files yet. Our impact is set to "Very Low". The properties can be set using the PDM Workgroup at check-in. The properties will hold after that.

Bradley
HP xw8600,
Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back